The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 17, 2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Madirishman

Thompson G2 Contender Rifle

I think I'm going to get one of these for sheer versatility - besides, they look like fun rifles and I will be able to outfit the barrel according to whatever it is I will be hunting.

Currently, almost all my hunting guns are blued steel and wood (my turkey guns is composite w/ camo) because I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I can appreciate the weather resistance of the stainless and composite and I think they can look nice as well. I'm wondering what the weight difference is between the wood and composite stocks more from a recoil absorption standpoint than carrying a heavy rifle. As I mentioned, my turkey/waterfowl is a composite 870 and when shooting 3" shells I tire quickly of the sharp recoil.

Also, I don't see that walnut is available with stainless or blued with composite. Does anyone know if it can be had in either of the above combinations or not?
Old April 17, 2010, 05:57 PM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, if you go through the T/C Custom Shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters), you can get whatever you want within Contender design parameters - I know I was able to, when I ordered up a .375Win Contender Carbine (prior to the G2).

Old April 18, 2010, 04:28 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

You may want to consider stepping up to a TC encore. Stocks and forends are easily changed out to suit your needs. My pet encore is stainless with walnut stocks, I just ordered the pieces that way.

The caliber selection in the encore is wider than the contender, with more powerful cartridges on the menu.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
KMyerK98

Contender Carbines

I have a 6.8SPC and a 45/70 in 23" carbine length. Really, a 23" barrel is called a carbine in the Contender!! Think about it. Such a simple action leaves lots of room for barrel length. This length of barrel is typical for factory bolt actions but looks so small/short on the Contender or G2. There's so much room there that T/C puts 26" barrels on the new encore pro hunters and that makes them look "normal" length next your typical bolt action.

The Contender/G2 carbines weigh in around 7.5lbs if you have the straight barrel without any taper. That weight equals pretty snappy recoil in a 45/70, even if it is loaded to the mild levels of the old trapdoor. I added a mercury recoil tamer in the stock end of mine for when the 45/70 is attached. It stays there for the other barrel since it is still a light rifle with it (+4 oz.)

FOR STOCKS in wood. I would check out eabco.com, they have some beautiful wood thumbhole stocks for all the T/C variants. And I think Boyds Stocks also has T/C offerings. Not sure if it's walnut but the woods are much heavier than the composites. The Choate I have is a feather weight. I'm with you and may spring for a wood version for this 45/70 someday.

I've been looking at ballistics for a while and believe that these two calibers will take care of about anything I would ever hunt. Being a single shot, either of these has a wide variety of bullets to choose from. Some of those 300 grain spire points for the 458Socom should do nicely on elk to 150 yards. The 130 grain 270 bullets would work for deer and even elk at close range. The lighter 85-95 grain offerings are for them thar varmints. The barnes 95's are used a lot on white tail deer.

Now if only I can find some 6.8 loads that are based on a 23-24" barrel instead of the AR and it's 16-18" barrels (real carbine length). All those AR loads with fast powders don't get much help from the extra 6-8 inches on the contender. A bit slower powder should do much better in the velocity department.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:29 PM   #5
reynolds357

I I have a lot of contender pistols and love them. I have one Carbine barrel I use and am not really a fan of it at all. High pressure cartridges can not be used in it. Scope mounting is also very annoying.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
wooly booger

i would find a friend with a contender in 45-70 and shoot it before you buy one....the stock fit is kinda odd and depending on your build, they can kick like a mule.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Damon555

Go with the Encore

Old February 27, 2013, 12:59 AM   #8
hoghunting

This thread was started almost 3 years ago, betting the OP figured out what he wanted a few years back.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:15 AM   #9
DaveRN

You can't bet on that, I have had some firearms take more than 5 years before I bite the bullet and make the purchase.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:19 PM   #10
mikikanazawa

After trying it on one rifle, I now have the Eabco laminate stocks on all my Encores and Contenders. It's not "FINE" wood, but rugged, good looks and I'm not afraid to leave the house with it for fear of scratches and dents.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
KMyerK98

G2/Contender vs Encore

I agree with Damon - The Encore is the way to go. I bought my Contender used, on the cheap, and then added a few barrels.

Hey Damon555 - how much does that Encore weigh? It has to be 8+ with that long barrel. And I would also guess that the bolt gun next to it is only a 22" barrel.

The Encore is a stronger frame and can handle the higher powered chamberings. And if you don't like the 26" barrels from TC there are tons of other choices out there in the $300-$400 range (eabco.com and others). Your basically getting a whole new gun/cartridge for around $350. If your Encore frame has a decent trigger and stock then it just moves to the other caliber. Nothing to relearn except maybe adjusting to a different recoil experience.

And if your thumper barrel is equipped with a muzzle brake then that isn't a problem either. I have a 7-30 Waters in 14", had eabco put on a howitzer brake and it shoots like a dream! Sub MOA with my reloads and much less muzzle flip then without the brake.

Last edited by KMyerK98; February 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Damon555

I have no idea what that rifle weighs...never checked it but it's pretty light. The rifle on the top is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 204 with a 26" barrel. The Encore is a 28" barreled 204...That long barrel really shines with the 204...
Old March 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #13
KMyerK98

fps difference?

Did you ever chrony the same load in both of those? would be interesting to know what the extra length is doing for you. Yea, those T/C's are very light for the barrel length you get.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:38 PM   #14
Damon555

I haven't tested 2 like loads in the 204's. But comparing my 223 DPMS bull 20" against the 28" Pro hunter barrel in .223 show that the T/C is about 120 fps faster than the shorter 20" barrel. Not only is barrel length an issue but the gas system on the AR probably slows them down a little too.....