The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 30, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
flight954

Hi-Cap Mags and California?

I have a an extended 12cap. XD40sc mag. f/s in the gear and accessories forum. I got a buyer confirmation and gave my PayPal info. and told him I needed his shipping info. Well I log on this AM and he's in California. Is it legal for me to ship this mag. to him? Or do I need to return his PayPal payment?
He must have just opened a TFL account. I don't want to do anything illegal.
Old June 30, 2009, 09:46 AM   #2
azredhawk44

I've run across this in the past, too.

My "gut" analysis told me that it would be legal for me to sell, but not legal for him to buy. I don't see how I can break a California law outside of the state of California since I'm not a Californian.

I didn't sell though.
Old June 30, 2009, 10:23 AM   #3
CowTowner

I don't think I would ship it.
I would check with the California D.O.J. and see what's legal or not about the sale and shipping.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old June 30, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
maestro pistolero

If you ship it into CA you will have just imported or caused to be imported an evil hi-cap mag into the state of CA, and may be subjected to an unintended address change in the near future. Also, it could be an LE trap.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; June 30, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old June 30, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5
BillCA

A magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds may not be imported or shipped into California. If you ship it to him, the least trouble might be aiding and abetting his importation of the magazine. At worst, they charge you with "causing to be imported" the magazine.

Your best bet is to refund his money with an explanation that - as far as you can tell - it is illegal to ship the magazine into California.
Old June 30, 2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Your best bet is to refund his money with an explanation that - as far as you can tell - it is illegal to ship the magazine into California.
Very well said Bill.