The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Nitro 470

Recommended Press for Magnum calibers?

I'm just beginning to learn to reload. My intent is to start reloading several calibers since factory ammo has become so expensive.

I am particularly concerned that I buy a press and equipment that will handle my 416 Rigby, 375 H&h and 300 win-mag.

Other calibers I'll be reloading are much more common: 30-06, 308, 223, 45 ACP, 9mm and 380 acp.. Sometime in the not too distant future I plan to pick up a 470 Nitro Express.

I would appreciate any input on what equipment would fill my needs.

This is my first post so I apologize in advance if it's in the wrong place.

Matt
Old April 28, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2
wncchester

Any top of the line press from any maker is more than sufficent for precision reloading any magnum cartridge.

The rather inexpensive Lee Classic Cast is an excellant single stage press that's fully capabile of reloading anything up to .50 Browning Machine Gun ammo!
Old April 28, 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

I think just about any press will be able to handle even the largest cases. There are a lot of threads about people's favorite presses. There are a lot of opinions, but they are all good it seems. The problem might be in finding the dies for a 470 Nitro. I'm sure they must be made by somebody but I don't recall seeing them in my browsing. All the other calibers you mention are not a problem at all.
Old April 28, 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
wncchester

xxxxx