The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2012, 05:39 PM   #26
Strafer Gott

Another .020 please.

Another .020 will put you in the crimp groove where you belong. That's good practice in my book (Speer #14). While a crimp may not be mandatory, most reloads will benefit from it. It sure cuts down on bullet movement, which can lead to grief.
Old February 7, 2012, 06:12 PM   #27
Edward429451

Data for the exact bullet is best, but lacking that you always seat to the crimp groove and go with starting loads for a very similar bullet. I've been loading like this into my 4th decade now and never have loosened a top strap.
Old February 7, 2012, 08:46 PM   #28
dacaur

The lyman book might not have used the exact bullet, while the hornady book definitely did. I would always trust the component MFG over others, but still take others into account...

For my .308win using hornady 165gr SST's and varget, hornady calls out the max load at 44gr, while hodgdon (varget mfg) calls it at 46gr... I got pressure signs at 44.3 grains (excessive recoil and hard extraction) but nothing at all (except exceptional accuracy) at 43.8, which is what I used for hunting last year, and will again this year....

Where loading info conflicts, its always best to start with the lower info, if you get to the upper on that with no problem, then go ahead and proceed with caution, more caution than you would normally use, since the book with the lower info has it lower for SOME reason... maybe its because they used a different component that caused excess pressure that the people who made the other book didn't use.....
Old February 7, 2012, 08:59 PM   #29
Edward429451

Yeah like a different brand of brass with a differing capacity...
Old February 9, 2012, 06:43 PM   #30
MrDontPlay

UPDATE

Well I shot em at the range today and my gun didn't explode. The felt like any other .38 round. Time to load some more!
Old February 9, 2012, 07:14 PM   #31
rclark

Great. Thought they would .

And, just crimp into the crimp groove.... that is what it is there for. I've been reloading for 30 years now, and just recently got a set of calipers.... only because I have started loading .45ACP.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.