The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 30, 2009, 09:35 PM   #1
bubbaturbo

driver's license + CC permit

Would it be good or bad to have your CC permit combined with your driver's license like an endorsement for motorcycles, buses, etc?
Old April 30, 2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Capt_Vin

Personally, I feel that BOTH driver's licenses and CCW permits should be nation-wide, not state by state, and yes, I think they should be combined.
Old May 1, 2009, 02:31 AM   #3
imthegrumpyone

Ya I could go for that.
Old May 1, 2009, 04:32 AM   #4
starshooter231

That would be nice unless I had to wait in line for hours to get my permit.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Shorts

Quote:
That would be nice unless I had to wait in line for hours to get my permit.
That would actually be an improvement in TX

Quote:
Would it be good or bad to have your CC permit combined with your driver's license like an endorsement for motorcycles, buses, e
Depends on your point of view I think. For the sake of a thinner wallet, consolidated is great.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:00 AM   #6
alloy

I don't need the lady at the counter checking my ID to buy a case of beer, or cash a check, etc to think that i might be carrying a gun. I vote no.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Shorts

Quote:
I don't need the lady at the counter checking my ID to buy a case of beer, or cash a check, etc to think that i might be carrying a gun. I vote no.

...I should probably stop wearing gun paraphernalia clothing when I go out

...my Winchester cap? Oh, that's the name of my dog, Chester. I love my dog.

...my Texas Gun Talk shirt? Oh, it's laundry day.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:36 AM   #8
alloy

double posty
Old May 1, 2009, 06:37 AM   #9
alloy

Your perogative i guess, or you could just open carry, another thing i don't do. Me...i don't feel the same way, don't take it personal don't bunch the panties, it's an opinion on an inet forum in response to a an opinion question.
Old May 1, 2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Shorts

Lighten up alloy, that was a joke. See that big green smiling guy at the end?

Unbunch yours or go up a size.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:36 AM   #11
ilbob

What I would prefer to see is everyone who is not other wise prohibited from carrying or possessing firearms would have no extra marking on their DL. Those who are not permitted to have firearms should have a picture of a gun inside a circle with a slash through it put on the DL.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old May 1, 2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Bud Helms

Think about the idiocy we see out of Congress on a daily basis ... no matter which party is in the majority.

Even when a smart person gets elected to Congress, it seems they come home afterward with a marked reduction in reasoning powers and the ability to make sound everyday decisions. I do not want a herd of 535 people like that with the additional authority of oversight for a national permit to have the ability to introduce one bill and in one sweeping vote, revoke my legal right to carry.

Be careful of that for which you wish. The restrictions on state-to-state concealed carry are an inconvenience, but the federal government directly controlling the process for all 50 ststes would be intolerable. They already think they have the right to do so. Let's not hand it to them!

And we just went legitimately L&CR, I realize.

Moving ...
Old May 1, 2009, 09:00 AM   #13
a7mmnut

That's the way it is in NC, only the local sheriff gets to act as dictator over who gets issued and when. This should never be the case on a state-issued license. The hardest thing to do is change addresses. Unlike your DL or photo ID, you must reapply with the sheriff of your new county of residence for a new CCH permit application after expiration and start the whole process all over again. It takes about 10 mins. to get your address changed on a new driver's license even though they are both issued the same ID number!

-7-
Old May 1, 2009, 09:22 AM   #14
NavyLT

Two things,

1. What about non resident permits? I don't want the state of Washington attaching something to my Wyomng driver's license.

2. Like someone stated. Concealed is concealed. If I have to show my driver's license for ID for something, I don't want that non-need-to-know person seeing the CPL if attached to the driver's license.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:16 AM   #15
chemgirlie

What about people who don't have a DL, but want to carry? One of my elderly aunts carries, but has simply never needed or wanted a DL. Also, what about people who have their DL revoked (for traffic violations), but are still eligible for CC?

Also, do we really want a federal middle ground to be the same for every state? In a national compromise CA would turn out a bit better, but wouldn't that be a bad thing for TX? Also, it could violate state's rights to govern themselves.