The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Ozzieman

What is the best Chronograph

Ok I did a terrible thing this weekend, I went to the range and did some shooting,,,
There was a very nice man there shooting a high powered hand gun using a chronograph, to make a long story short,,, he was nice enough to let me put a couple of rounds through his chronograph and I was surprised at the difference in my rounds velocity vs ,,,,,
Never mind.....
I WANT ONE,,,
The question to all my reloading friends here is what is the best one out there?
I am not looking for a budget cheep piece of,,,,,,,,
I want a good one and price is not an option.
Thank you for your input,,,,,
Old April 28, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Lunicy

Damn, I thought you were going to say you put a round through his chrono. That would be funny.

I like my pact.

It is an older one. The display is separate from the sensors. (that way if you do try to murder the chrono, you are only out a $20-$30 part tops)

It will hold 20 shots i think. gives high,low,avg, deviation,etc.

They make printers for some models. IMHO that is just more junk to take to the range. I can write.

The Beta and Gamma master chrony look really cool, but never used them.
Old April 28, 2009, 06:23 PM   #3
wncchester

Wellll....there really ain't a lot of difference. Except in features and price. They are all good enough for our use in measuring speeds tho.

I prefer the PACT top of the line unit because it includes a compact built-in printer along with an excellant and versatile ballistics computer that can be used at the range to immediately print ballsitic charts for drop and windage at any combination of variables I punch in. It calculates and prints Standard Deviation, Averages, etc.. All that makes it a very versatile tool. (Others generally allow you to do that at home on your computer tho, so....? ) I really like that the PACT main unit sits on the bench instead of in the bullets danger path. And PACTs sensors are inexpensive to replace if/when you blow them away. It's easy to set up too... but so are the others. ???

The mono-construction units that put the sensors and computer all in one package are subject to damage both from shooting AND being knocked or blown over in the tripod. I could live with those hazards but I didn't want too!

Mostly it's a matter of what you want to pay, how you will use it and what bells and whistles you would prefer.
Old April 28, 2009, 09:59 PM   #4
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. For me it is one that I can use when I want to.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Try this link it is a similar question with some answers you might find interesting.