The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 15, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1
tahoe2

JES Rebore

Also known as www.35caliber.com ; Thinking of re-boreing a barrel to 9.3x62 Mauser for a home build.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Are you looking for feedback? Support? More information?

I've never heard anything bad about his work, but your post doesn't really specify what you want to discuss.
Old May 24, 2014, 12:28 PM   #3
tahoe2

more specific

I have a mauser barrel I want to rebore to 9.3x62 Mauser($250), however Midway has a 35 Whelen barrel for $100 (.050" short chambered).
I would rent the reamer for final finish reaming. Just wanted to know about his quality of work? I have read of his work on a 336 in 30-30 bored to a 35-30, the results were favorable, but that is an open sighted short range vehicle.
I am looking for a more precision platform within my budget, as Pac-Nor and Shilen, and several others are $350 - $500 barrels.
I just want a good barrel for hunting (300 yds max), not looking for match grade, just a good real world shooter, I'm just on a limited budget!
Old May 24, 2014, 02:30 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Economically, buying the .35 Whelen barrel would be the better bet if you can install and finish ream it yourself. And you wouldn't have the expense of sending the rifle away. IMHO, the 9.3x62 would have little if any advantage over the .35 Whelen as a practical matter, but I am sure others will challenge me to a duel over that statement.

Jim
Old May 25, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have a mauser barrel I want to rebore to 9.3x62 Mauser($250), however Midway has a 35 Whelen barrel for $100 (.050" short chambered).
I would rent the reamer for final finish reaming. Just wanted to know about his quality of work? I have read of his work on a 336 in 30-30 bored to a 35-30, the results were favorable, but that is an open sighted short range vehicle.
As I mentioned before - I don't have any 'hands on' experience with him (forget the guy's name). But, there are quite a few guys that have shared their experiences with getting 336s (.30-30) rebored and chambered for .444 Marlin. Every one of them was happy as a clam, and couldn't speak highly enough of the work (and results on paper).

The Green Mountain barrel is a tough call. As far as budget and quality go, I'd be happy. With .35 Whelen, in and of itself, I'd be happy.
But... .35 Whelen doesn't play nicely with some Mauser actions. You have to be sure to keep the cartridge overall length at magazine length or less; but some of the heavier .35 caliber bullets are a bit long. That was one of the biggest reasons I gave up on my .35 Whelen project (on a Mauser). The concept of working around the OAL limitation seemed easy. But in actual practice, it didn't work well for me, even with some 200 gr bullets (and I didn't want to modify the magazine or receiver for the longer OAL). Instead, I sold the barrel and went back to 8x57mm. (Love the cartridge - just not the trip I took, getting back to it.)

9.3x62mm is definitely the better choice, functionally. Look around. Check with some gunsmiths. See what it might run you to pick up a budget-range .358" barrel blank, have it rough chambered and threaded by a smith, and finished by you.
It may save you a little money. Or... it may prove that having JES rebore it is the best option.