The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Micropterus

Replacing external extractor on Sig Sauer P220R

The external extractor on my P220R broke and flew off at my range. I'm assuming it broke since I can't find hide nor hair of it, and it's a known issue. All that's left behind is a nice, clean slot where it went. I reallly don't think I want to send it back to Sig for that (though I will see if they will cover the parts under warranty).

I reviewed the diagram and it looks like 3 parts: spring, plunger and extractor. But I can't find any video or description on the net on how to install it. Intuitively, it looks like you place the spring in the hole, followed by the plunger, compress it, the drop in the extractor, then release the plunger. It's held in by the plunger.

Is this correct? If not, can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks.
Old June 2, 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm not familiar with the P220R. However, for the P220, you punch out the roll pins that hold the breech block in the slide. The breech block drops out and exposes the extractor which can now be pried out with a screwdriver from the breech block. A fresh one is then pressed in.
Old June 6, 2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Micropterus

Thanks, but I have the external extractor. I've since applied my guess-work and was able to install the part.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Nnobby45

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the P220R. However, for the P220, you punch out the roll pins that hold the breech block in the slide.
That's for the older W. German models with seperate breach block. The extractor can't be accessed any other way.

The newer ST one piece slide models came with an "internal" extractor, but a very different arrangement than the old style. This new arrangement can be easily removed, since it's easily accessed in the one piece slide.

Then, because many were having problems (mostly last round feeding or extracting), SIG went to the external extractor.

Micropteras obviously has the newer slide.

Push back the plunger with a sharp "blade", and pull the extractor out from the rear. Some tool with a hook (dentists' tool) works great for popping it out. Then, with plunger compressed, pop in the new one and release. Some just push the plunger to the rear with the extractor until it pops in.

NOTE: The 870 shotgun extractor works the same way.

TIP: since I no longer enjoy crawling around the floor looking for little springs and other parts, I put them inside a plastic bag to work on. Extractor, mag. catch assembly and such.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 8, 2011 at 06:50 PM.