The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2013, 08:00 AM   #1
dcnichols42

Powder Storage

After being out of handloading for a couple of years I am looking to get back into it now that I have the proper space.

My wife, however, does not want me to load in the house due to a crawling baby getting into everything! I am hoping to set up shop in the garage but I am concerned about temperatures in the summer here in Midland, TX and storing powder in the garage. I have been searching for solutions of how to ease my mind to store the powder and primers without constantly worrying if one will ignite but I cant seem to find one. Maybe my concerns aren't valid, but if yall have any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 27, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2
precision_shooter

Concerns of the powder igniting are a bit car fetched, but the bigger concern is the lack of temperature and humidity control that will speed up the deterioration of the powder and primers and render them inert/useless except as fertilizer.

I would store the powder and primers in the house, take what you are going to load to the garage, load and take the can/jug of powder and remaining primers back into the house, as well as the completed rounds you loaded, to be stored for next time.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 27, 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
overthere

You could get a plastic footlocker at walmart to hold your primers and powder, and use that to store it in your house. You can put a padlock on it which would keep the baby out and perhaps allay your wife's concerns.

I have never heard of spontaneous ignition of powder and primers stored at room temperature. I would not store powder in a garage in Texas heat, not for concern of ignition but for the powder going bad.
Old October 27, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Hoggrydr11

Powder Storage

I'll store it all for you, my kids are grown and my wife don't care. LOL
Old October 27, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Baby proofing powder and primers is no different than baby proofing household cleaners and anything else in the house. They are no more dangerous to a child than dish soap or the litter box. Wal-Mart and every other big box store in the country sells child proofing products. Only thing I would suggest is if you tumble brass, that you do it outside in the garage to prevent exposing the child to lead dust.
Old October 27, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
but I am concerned about temperatures in the summer here in Midland, TX and storing powder in the garage. I have been searching for solutions of how to ease my mind to store the powder and primers without constantly worrying if one will ignite but I cant seem to find one. Maybe my concerns aren't valid, but if yall have any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Powder Valley will ship primers and powder in the same box. They are separated by packing and cardboard boxes. But the primers themselves are relatively safe as long as they stay in the original packaging. If one or more go off, the entire carton is designed to not go off. How do I know? Not even 1 full tray went off.

Some folks use an old refrigerator (magnetic seal type) to store components in wide temperature swings. The insulation tends to dampen out the extremes. No need to run the refrigerator on power.

Old October 27, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Sorry jepp2 - I just had a little laugh at your expense
Old October 27, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I would store the powder and primers in the house, take what you are going to load to the garage, load and take the can/jug of powder and remaining primers back into the house, as well as the completed rounds you loaded, to be stored for next time.
Yes, this is what I do. For two reasons: 1: proper storage - which is the thrust of this thread. And 2: Safety. The only propellents (primers, powder) that are at my load bench at any given time, are the ones I'm using for the load I'm working on at that time. This is a rule that I obey religiously, and it hasn't failed my yet.

I have a little toddler (granddaughter) running about my place. I store all my powders up high - well out of her reach.

Also: Powders won't spontaneously ignite - not without a lot of heat present - such as a fire. So powder is only a safety concern if a fire were to occur. And even then, it won't explode. It will "erupt violently," but it won't explode like a bomb. It's also a good idea to read though your insurance policy and see if there's any mention of volatile chemical storage.
Old October 27, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Good plan involving the garage: Get yr foot into the door first by doing what the mrs ask's. Then buy future reloading supplies in small quantities. She gets what she wants and you got your man cave. If it's necessary to keep your supplies from spoiling {because of poor or unsure storage conditions.} _"Just have ta shoot more often would be my suggestion."_~ oh yes!! he scores a two-fur \/
Old October 27, 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
BINGO!
Old October 27, 2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Crazy88Fingers

Re: Powder Storage

Do you carry a gun in the summer? Has a round ever cooked off from the heat? I don't think the temperature in the garage is going to light anything up. Get a lockbox and store the goods indoors. Or buy some waterproof .50 cal ammo cans and store it out in the garage.
Old October 27, 2013, 09:19 PM   #12
dcnichols42

Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure I wouldn't have to worry about a combustible event, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all the tips.
Old October 28, 2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Ozzieman

For primers I use a mortar ammo can with good seals. Each box of primers goes into a sealed bag with as much air removed as possible and a small desiccant bag.
If you put them in the garage and it’s not heated put some wood under on ether end so that you get some air flow. Metal cans on concrete floors can get moisture and rust.
Powder, in the house. Put it where it cant be reached.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 28, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old October 28, 2013, 02:44 PM   #14
redhawk45

You might want to read this: http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf .
Old October 28, 2013, 09:17 PM   #15
SVO

If you have a spare closet you can use for storage, you can replace the standard non locking latch set with a locking latch set or even a dead bolt. Lock the door and keep the key outta sight. Or have the lock set keyed to your house lock set and just have one key to fit all.
Old October 29, 2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Jeff2131

Im in.PA, we have hot summers with high humidity. Im setup in the garage. I found a VERY simple solution to controlling the moisture issue....i went on ebay, spent $8 and bought a bag of 100 silica gel packs. I drop one in each bottle of powder, i drop one in each plastic case of loaded ammo, and i drop one in each closed bin of bullets to prevent that ugly tarnishing. Since ive started doing this ive seen not a single bullet loose its shine, not a bit of powder turn color, and none of my loaded rounds have lost their luster being stored in plastic cases in a cabinet mounted on the wall of my garage.