The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 1999, 01:33 PM   #1
Tomas

I am a new reloader. My first batch of 10mm reloads did just fine but I'm reloading in a different case this time (PMC) and I noticed that they are longer than the Starline cases or the Winchesters. The PMC cases average around .990 in length and the Starlines .980, the Winchesters .975. As a result of the PMC cases being longer (at least I think this is the reason) the cartridges are not fully seating in my chambers. (This is all once fired brass by the way) However, if I seat the bullet to about 1.235-1.240 OAL, instead of 1.25-1.26 they seat in the chambers OK. Since this seating depth is greater, I'm concerned about greater pressures, but maybe this isn't a concern because the PMC cases are longer. I need to know if I need to be worried about this, or if it is nothing. Please, advice is needed.

Also, though the 1.25 OAL cartridges aren't seating in the Colt barrel or any chamber of my S&W 610, they do seem to seat better in the Glock 20 chamber. Seems this is a much looser chamber. Does the looser Glock chamber present any problems or benefits?

Thanks

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tomas (edited July 15, 1999).]
Old July 17, 1999, 08:17 PM   #2
Joe Portale

Thomas,

Here's a couple of other things to look at. I have noticed with high power loads that sometimes the bases of "over" used brass will buldge slightly. I don't shoot/trload 10mm, so I am not familiar with the round. You can mike the cases to see if this is causing your problem.

Also, if you believe that your cases are too long, you can trim them. Lee and other companies make case trimmers. I use the Lee because it was inexpensive and I liked the mandrel setup that allows me to use a power drill to automate the process.

You are correct in your feelings that mashing a round into the case too deep will give excessive pressure.

figure which cases seem to work the best with your pistols and try to stick to that brand. As I said earlier, I don't use 10mm, I stayed away because I heard that they can be real persnickity. I have read that a lot of 10mm guns just don't like reloaded ammo and the makers recommend against it.

Hope this didn't cloud up the issue too much.

Joe Portale
Tucson, Arizona Territory