The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 22, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Skyyr

10/22 Out of the Box - Shoot it or call CS?

Just dropped $500 on a 10/22 - briefly inspected it, but it was covered in oil which made it hard to see the surfaces. Upon getting it home, I wiped it down and noticed several of the "shiny" marks, both on the stock and barrel, are not cleaning off.

The stock has several shiny impressions in it (as well as scratches) and the barrel has a faint scuff that is noticeable in direct light. For a $500 .22, I would expect, well, better. Yes, I know it will get worn with use, but there's a difference between me putting a mark there and finding out it came from the factory like that.

FYI, it was new and in the plastic bag - unopened.

Old October 22, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Creeper

That sort of damage happens more often than I'd care to see. Ruger is really good about this sort of thing however, so I'd give them a call, or send an e-mail with the photos you have attached. For $500, you should get a pristine gun.

C
Old October 23, 2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Metal god

Yea call them . the thing that sucks ,you know other then the scratchs is you will have to send it back . I had to send one of my guns back ( not a Ruger ) and it took 2 weeks to get it back . Thay was not to bad of a turn around but when you get a new toy you want to play .

What kind of barrel is that . Its like you can see the twist right in the bluing or is that what your issue is with it ? I've never seen that before .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 23, 2012, 06:36 AM   #4
jmr40

I'd shoot it. I don't know which model that is, or why it cost $500, but any 10-22 is a working gun and would have a few "character" marks quickly enough. If the gun shot poorly or had reliability issues I'd send it back, but not for that.
Old October 23, 2012, 07:13 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

What model of NIB 10/22 is $500 other than the Olympic Team models?

It's a .22, go shoot it.
Old October 23, 2012, 07:31 AM   #6
mr.t7024

new 10 22

If my firearms are marked,I want t done by myself. I would call Ruger. I would like to know what model was your rifle, 500 bucks is a lot for a 10-22…? Cliff
Old October 23, 2012, 08:06 AM   #7
MikeGunz

It looks like the model that comes with bullbarrel and hogue stock. Stock 10/22 is 200, bull barrel 250 and hogue stock is around 50. Seems about right, Think they would knock some off though because you dont get a stock barrel or stock
Old October 23, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Skyyr

@madcratebuilder it's a 10/22
VLEH. It was $465 + tax and background check.

I called Ruger this morning. They apologized and issued me an RMA, so it's getting replaced.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Pahoo

Not acceptable, for the money !!!

Clearly you have a Target model with the Hogue stock. The problem I have, is understaning the $500.00 cost. For this reason alone, I'd have to do something about it, like sending it back to the factory. Actually, $300.00 is more in line with this model. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 23, 2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Skyyr

It is similar to the target model, except that it has a 16" barrel, "tactical" receiver (its a rough, matte finish compared to the usual smooth finish), and supposedly a match chamber/target chamber. It also comes with the Hogue stock and a bipod.

What I really wanted was a medium/heavy contour stainless barrel with a tactical (I hate that word) stock without a barrel band or the cheap sites. Since they don't make one like that (that I'm aware of), this was the best compromise. I'll probably build a custom 10/22 after I become more acquainted with the platform. This is my first non-clone .22.
Old October 23, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
DaleA

Those scuff marks on the stock looked...odd.
I'm glad Ruger is taking care of you and hope the replacement is better (as it should be).

Please post a report after you shoot it. I'd really be interested in how the target model shoots without you having to put $$$ into it in after-market customizing.

FWIW I really like the stock you have on it, or more correctly, I do NOT like the laminated wood stock I've always seen on the target models. The laminated wood looks very nice but didn't give me a very good grip on the gun when I handled them in the gun stores. It seemed kind of slippery.
Old October 23, 2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Pahoo

Many Choices

This "tactical" model has a target barrel and Harris bi-pod on it but other than that, there is really nothing special about it. It is a current model that lists for just under $600.00. It might even have a target hammer but I doubt it. ...

One thing that I like about the Ruger website is the listings, in the Distributor Exclusives and if you can't find it in there, then you have to build it from scratch or close to it. ....

http://ruger.com/products/1022DE/models.html

Be Safe !!!
Old October 23, 2012, 08:09 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

If it irritates you - call.

It would irritate me, as well. But... not quite enough to care. I'd just shoot it.