The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 27, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
red96ta

Traditions Pennsylvania Review and Range Report

Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle Review:

I've been shooting revolvers nearly every weekend for the last year and decided to pay a visit on our range's black powder day. Since I was a revolver guy only, I couldn't play, but got to watch. Guys with TVM's, Chambers, an original in immaculate condition from the 1700's...oh and a single inline guy All I could do was sit there with my drool rag and watch them shoot.

I decided that it was time to get into the match, but no time to wait for a custom or semi-custom...so I decided on the Tradition's Pennsylvania to get me into the game.

The good qualities of the rifle are that it's built well and fairly accurate. I adjusted the triggers so that the front trigger goes off at about 2lbs. Both triggers are adjustable. The sights, both front and rear are adjustable for windage and the rear for elevation as well. Lots of brass on the rifle. With no less than ten inlays not including the patchbox and sideplate, it's a little blingy. The lock provides a nice crisp snap.

On the bad side, the folks at Ardesa did seem a bit rushed in the construction of the rifle. Most of the inlays were a bit misaligned with the inletting and needed to have one side or the other puttied to fill the extra space. Sanding was smooth, but a little wavy on the stock.

For an entry level muzzleloader, even one that is reported to be the top of the line sidelock from Traditions, it could use a lot more finishing and attention to detail....but then, I'm comparing it to the TVM's and Chamber's that were at the shoot.

Range Report:

Load
.490 swaged ball
55g Schuetzen FFFg
.15 lubed patch

From 25 yards benched to get a baseline. 8 shots at ten points each...score 80/80!

Old April 27, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2
red96ta

Standing from 25 yards. 7 shots at ten points each...score 66/70

Benched at 50 yards. 8 shots at ten points each...score 67/80

The shot breaking the 6 line was with a heavily fouled barrel. I didn't realize how dirty it was until I tried to wipe it down and couldn't get the ramrod back out of the barrel! It took the combined effort of two RSO's and myself to get it out. Between that and chatting with a friend that showed up and shooting next to me, I had two dry balls. The roman nose beat my cheek pretty bad and the buttplate killed my shoulder...I mean beaten to the point of a bruise.

Overall, it's a nice rifle that doesn't hold a candle to the nicer semi-customs out there.

Last edited by red96ta; April 27, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old April 27, 2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Pahoo

Thank You !!

Excellent report and I thank you for posting. Found it to be objective, honest and informative. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 27, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Hawg

Try shooting it off your upper arm instead of your shoulder. Those pointy butt plates were never intended to be fired from the shoulder.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
mykeal

How are both triggers adjustable?
Old April 27, 2013, 10:21 PM   #6
red96ta

There are two set screws...one behind each trigger. The one for the set trigger is partially hidden under the trigger guard. Turning the screws adjusts the pull of the trigger
Old April 28, 2013, 04:05 PM   #7
ThomasT

I had the same gun in 36 caliber I stupidly sold. It was a shooter though. I liked to shoot 38wadcutter bullets out of it. The hollow base worked just like a minnie ball. Nice gun.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Roshi

Wow!

Beautiful rifle. Nice shooting too.
Old April 30, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
brazosdave

that is one sweet lookin rifle there, and a shooter to boot!