The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 15, 2005, 10:50 PM   #26
TheeBadOne

I've known or met 2 Army cooks (outside of my tour), 1 Navy cook, and 1 Air Force cook. I guess the Marines get their own food
Old August 15, 2005, 11:22 PM   #27
Massan

Well appearances CAN be decieving and a lot of SF operators are of about medium build. SF operators are triatheletes, not body builders, especially SEALs cause of thick body mass makes it much harder for them to successfully pass their swimming requirements, though I serisouly doubt any ex-SF will let themselves get serisouly out of weight..(feel free to prove me wrong)

Also, the USAF does have combat forces(Surprise! Funky eh?). They got Parajumpers and Combat Controllers. Got a friend who just made it past CCT basic training and now in advance training.

In other notes, like Topthis said, get a cheap SF trinket and pretend its something one gets upon completion of training and ask absurb questions. Always nice to make fun of posers.
Old August 15, 2005, 11:34 PM   #28
Dog Confetti

By "cook" do you mean the guy that boils the T-rats, or the lucky individual that gets to open about a dozen of them with his P-38?
Old August 15, 2005, 11:51 PM   #29
Rangefinder

Service cooks... LOL A very close friend was a cook in the army, and his war stories are even better than mine most of the time---stationed in Germany, the boiler room below the mess was opperated by a German civilian, they fed him real good and in return had a consistant supply of great beer whenever...Private rooms off the kitchen and could come stumbling in at O-dark-thirty after a weekend pass and have ready access to a plate of eggs, kept a fifth of wisky in his wall locker for "inspection" and wouldn't you know it-passed every time without a worry... LOL Years ago though. One thing I learned was NEVER mess with the cooks--food was as good as gold, and when they controlled it you just don't mess with a good thing.

In the field we use to use a little (or big pinch) pinch of C-4 to heat rats or MRE's. One thing I saw proved the hard way was don't mix heat with pressure when dealing with C-4. A guy blew his foot off stamping out a piece after he warmed up his rat. OOPS!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 16, 2005, 02:34 AM   #30
CobrayCommando

Stomping on C4 blew his foot off? Man that sounds like bs, did you see that or hear about it?
Old August 16, 2005, 04:05 AM   #31
XavierBreath

Modern day Marine snipers and SEALs do not eat. Because the armed forces now has so many snipers and SEALs, they no longer need cooks.

How can so many miss the obvious?

The true modern day elite forces are ombudsmen.
Old August 16, 2005, 04:17 AM   #32
LAK

In addition to "snipers" (AF police special units now have them too), I know for a fact that the AF has, or had, cooks too. Some of them were pretty good at cooking food.
Old August 16, 2005, 04:43 AM   #33
Powderman

I knew this guy at Ft. Lewis. I met him when he was telling me and a buddy about his supercharged Pontiac LeMans, that would do 140 in a quarter mile in 6 seconds, with a special 70-gallon gas tank.

We overheard him telling his girlfriend about how he single handedly stopped an attack on the Ft. Lewis ASP, and got a Silver Star--but could not wear it because it was classified, dontcha know.

A true Ranger Navy SEEL from the Air Force Academy.
Old August 16, 2005, 06:02 AM   #34
Rojoe67

Lets research before jumping into something.....

I guess I could help distinguish the notion that the chair force only will fly and doesn't like bad weather or night duty.... Very few pilots if compared to total population of this branch of service.

The modern day Security Police of the Air Force and it's National Guard and Reserve units are a little more trained than most civilian types are aware of.

The Security Police are also known now as the Defense Force. That means besides day to day LE duty. ABGD = Air Base Ground Defense...... That means if the Army and Marines are spread thin and a few bad folks want in, then it would be our job to stop them. I think you could find a lot of info if you wanted right here on the big wonderful web....

The Defense Force has Counter-snipers, K9 teams, Combat Arms Instructors and thousands of members world wide (Iraq and Afghanistan too), M16s, M203s, SAWs, and M9s just to name a few of the tools we use. We have been through numerous schools and training conducted by our branch and the other branches as well. I know a few guys that DID go to Ranger School and did wear the tab. When I was active duty in the 80's, the AF had GLCM Operations in Europe. That would be worth looking up as well. We didn't sit around and read Playboy and drink Miller Lite. Just rubs me wrong when someone that knows little about a given thing will write like he is Sam Webster.

If your statement about a young teen was telling you he was an AF Sniper you should start off by asking some easy questions. What type of rifle do you use for that stuff? Do you have an other job when your not out doing the snipe bit? You should be able to figure it out within one minute.

As far as cooks....... Ours do a good job for us. They are in the Services Group. The same one that works at the chow hall today might be the counter receptionist at the base billet/motel....... They go to school for 5-6 weeks too. They also get a lot of on the job training.

Powder........not sure what your getting at other than reminding us how many folks say they are doing something and not doing anything...... I think that was your idea?

I think that today the branches work and fight better (together) than ever before in our nations history.... That is just my view on it.

Regards......Rojoe67
Old August 16, 2005, 06:30 AM   #35
ISP2605

Because of the duties explained by RoJoe the USAF Security Police have been called Security Forces for several years. Depending on their assignments they're often the "infantry of the Air Force". They'll do patrols "outside the wire". I retired in 2000 as a USAF SF commander. I had guys I'd sent to Ranger school and they wore the tab. I'd put together a sniper team and they were sniper trained. I had guys in my Guard unit who were former Marines (including one old Grunt who'd been at Khe Shan), former Combat Controller, a honest-to-by-gawd Ranger who'd done 9 yrs with the Ranger Regiment and who'd done spec ops with Delta all around the world. We pounded the ground. After 9/11 my unit was deployed to 23 different countries in 18 months. I had a squad deployed to one sort of friendly country to do intel work with the alphabet agency in that region. In Afghanistan they hunted bad guys. The base would send up the Predator and my guys would go out to engage. My former Ranger and another former Ranger in my unit who got in after I retired were deployed on missions with Spec Ops folks in places where we haven't been. In Afghanistan another of my guys received the Bronze Star with V and another was submitted for the Silver Star but I haven't been in touch with the unit for a few months to see if the SS ever came thru.
I'm pretty proud of my guys. They answered the call and did what they signed on to do.
BTW, the USAF still has cooks.
Old August 16, 2005, 07:38 AM   #36
RWK

As a retired, long-service officer approaching 60, I find this very amusing. Back in the ‘60s and early ‘70s, as a direct result of Vietnam, you could not find many folks who wanted to serve -- or were willing to admit that they had served. Now honorable military service is -- as it most certainly should be -- a mark of distinction. This leads to the “wannabees”, ranging from teenagers and to old men, all sporting insignia and memorabilia and all spouting lies.

Overall, this is a very good thing, not because any of us sanction phonies proclaiming military achievements, but because our society has FINALLY understood that the warriors -- whether they have served for one or thirty years -- are performing patriotic duties, frequently under adverse conditions. This means the old -- and terrible -- ethic of the Vietnam era, where soldiers were hated because the war was so unpopular, is gone . . . and that is excellent.
Old August 16, 2005, 08:32 AM   #37
Powderman

Absolutely no slam meant, and I can see where it can be interpreted as such. If I offended anyone, my sincere apologies.

The phrase I used at the end of the post was one coined by a servicemember I know very well; it's meant to describe all those who have "been there and done that"--in their own words and mind, that is. To hear these guys talk, they are the be all and end all of the uniformed services, have been to every school known to man (and some that aren't known yet), were "certified" bad-a***s, can shoot the eyeball out of a renegade protozoa at 1000 yards with a Daisy BB gun, and possess hand to hand skills that leave Kung Fu movie stars in adoration and awe.

I know one who supposedly was a SEAL--but who doesn't know how to disassemble an M16/AR15, and who can't hit the broadside of a barn at muzzle contact range with a shotgun loaded with #9 shot and a spreader choke.
Old August 16, 2005, 08:40 AM   #38
EIGHTYDUECE

There are still plenty of cooks in the army. You won't see them at the big furrs style mess halls, those are contractors. You see them in combat units. Almost every combat Battalion has their own mess hall and cooks. Although most food in the field is k-rats or MREs, we would still get fresh hot food delivered to us in mermite containers cooked by our unit cooks. This was in the 90s and I can confirm that it is still that way.

I knew many of the cooks that were in my unit they were all in the HHQ company.

And as for those that lie and claim to have been comandos, well they just have little d@cks.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old August 16, 2005, 08:47 AM   #39
EIGHTYDUECE

I also heard about the C4 going off when stomped on when lit. In the first gulf war I saw a few Combat engineers using bits of it as heat tabs to warm their coffee and they told me that it would detinate that way.

It made sense and, coming from them, I believed it. Not sure if true though.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old August 16, 2005, 09:06 AM   #40
mfree

Ahh, what a difference between Naval SEALs and these navel seals...

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old August 16, 2005, 09:07 AM   #41
dm1333

Even the Coast Guard has snipers

Some helicoptor air crews use sniper rifles to disable vessels and we have security teams complete with divers, K-9, snipers and people who can fast rope onto vessels for boardings. Of course they all think that they are the latest incarnation of Rambo!!
Old August 16, 2005, 10:12 AM   #42
Rangefinder

Cobray>> Yes, C-4 has potential to detonate if it's burning and you stomp on it. By itself, you can beat on it, throw it around, whatever, provided it doesn't hit flashpoint. It burns real nice, and not really a danger until you add pressure to that heat. When you combine heat with pressure, that's when it goes. So yes, stomping on a piece of burning c-4 isn't good for the feet.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 16, 2005, 01:07 PM   #43
XDoctor

Quote:
If your statement about a young teen was telling you he was an AF Sniper you should start off by asking some easy questions. What type of rifle do you use for that stuff? Do you have an other job when your not out doing the snipe bit? You should be able to figure it out within one minute.
I didn't really have to ask questions. It was pretty evident that the closest he's been to any military base is driving by Warren AFB down in Cheyenne. I say that because his hair was to the middle of his back and any CO would slap him around like they were his pimp if they saw his boots. I'm just going by the appearance of him, but he looked like one of the great all time losers of my generation. Sometimes, you have to ask the silly questions and hear the lies, other times, the lie presents itself for what it is.
Old August 16, 2005, 03:58 PM   #44
chadwimc

I have no problem admitting what I was in a previous life. I've got the same gig in this life... I take huge, heavy, rocks from the base of a big, pointy structure to the top of a big, pointy structure. There's some mean guy in the background with a whip hollering at me.Then I repeat. Over and over and...
Old August 16, 2005, 05:02 PM   #45
Eghad

Sadl to say it but most of the big didng facilities are run by civilian contractors. You usually have A Sr. NCO who is the Food Service Sgt who oversees the contractor. At Ft. Hood some of the smaller dining facilities are run by military personnel with civilian contractors doing the KP duties.

The mess hall ran by the civilian contrator sucked.........they were there just to meet the bare minimums. To help catch the overflow in our areathe military cooks ran a mess hall at the BOQ that beat the civilian one hands down. needless to say I caught all my meals there.

When I was deployed overseas all the cooing was done by KBR...most of the supervisors were ex-military.

so nope cooks arent as plentiful as they once were.

I think the military cook is becoming an endangered species........

NRA Life Member
Old August 16, 2005, 06:06 PM   #46
auberg

I have to admit, My dad was a cook in the army. This was during the Korean war era. That means he never saw action, nor did he ever leave the country, But I did like to kid him that he was fighting against both sides, because of his cooking.
Old August 16, 2005, 06:27 PM   #47
Topthis

I........have eaten Air Force chow...and it was good!!!!!!!!
Old August 16, 2005, 06:44 PM   #48
Geoff Timm

I hate to admit it, but the best military mess I ever ate in, 1972 - 82 US Army, was the USMC run battalion level mess at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 1972.

Geoff
Who was there for the Small Arms School, with a mixed class of Marines, Soldiers and Sailors. The two sailors were VN vets, the only ones in the class with combat experience. One was a former cook. Yep, they really were SEALS and even the Marine First Sergent treated them with respect.
Old August 16, 2005, 08:04 PM   #49
Rojoe67

Platoon Confidence Training School......

We never tried to cook our MRE's with C-4. We would use Triox tabs that worked real fine. The GLCM mission was covert so the meal 3 times daily was MRE's. I did like some Army hot chow we had when I was at Bad Tolz, Germany. It was made at Flint Kaserne (spelling?) then transported out to this little Army camp. And to top it off we did 9 pull-ups to enter for breakfast......... if seconds were offered we hit the pull up bar again..... Some darn interesting times they were....... Good memories now, but then? I might have been thinking to myself why the hell do I always raise my hand for these types of things

Most of the time noise and light discipline kept us from any flame to heat food at night. We found that your main menu item could be warmed to a good temperature by putting the packet in your arm pit if you were in your hole or in an LP/OP holding still... 15-20 minutes and you had something almost worth calling dinner.
Old August 16, 2005, 09:39 PM   #50
Arizona Fusilier

Quote:
Can't speak for AF food but I gained 23 pounds in army basic
I too gained a bit of weight at Fort Leonard Wood. My metabolism just could not handle three full meals a day, with potatoes at every sitting. I went from the highest PT score in the company to something significantly less than that. Those cooks were civilain contractors, though.

Later on, I was a mess officer in the 82nd, so I know for a fact there were cooks in the 80s. Ate the CGs mess in Korea, and that was some decent eating.

Army cooks, what's left of them, can cook up a storm if they want too.

One of the few men on death row at Leavenworth was a cook in my regiment (504 P.I.R.), how's that for some trivial pursuit?