The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 03:36 PM   #26
gunluver

That build is very similar to my CQB. Mine is just the CQB, not the elite, all black armor tuff, ball end mill cuts, flush cut and reverse crown, battle sight with green fiber optic front, solid silver trigger, speed chute, and sterling silver medallions. I also have no FCS and a naked slide, but I did not get the Wilson logo on the slide....I opted for them to put the Marine Corps emblem in its place.

Once the wait is over, I'm sure you will love it. Mine is the very best handgun I've ever owned.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:37 AM   #27
KyJim

Sounds like its going to be a super nice pistol, but 14 months?
Old March 21, 2013, 11:51 AM   #28
gunluver

KyJim.... There are a few Wilson's out on dealer shelves, but if you want a custom build to your options the wait is very long right now. Wilson has a huge backlog. I was talking with my dealer last week about ordering a second Wilson.....he has one in the system already close to my specs that he ordered last September. He doesn't expect it till around Christmas
Old March 21, 2013, 12:39 PM   #29
Vinnie Harold

Guys, just a little aside here.

Wilson says not to take the weapon apart until after the break in, about 500 rounds, but they also say to keep it lubricated (rails esp.)

How do i lub the rails every 100 or 150 rounds if I am not supposed to break down the weapon?

Thanks
Old March 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #30
gunluver

Lock the slide back, put a few drops on the rails where you can and work it in. It sounds harder than it is. Mine broke it very nicely
Old March 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #31
BigJimP

yes, like he said ...and if you don't have any ....( the gun might come with some ..??...I don't remember if mine did or not ...) ...but get a small 2 oz bottle of the Wilson Ultima Lube II ...if you don't have any.

Its good stuff...! ( or I would use Break Free ) ....
Old March 21, 2013, 01:30 PM   #32
Vinnie Harold

Thanks...that is what I thought but I just wanted to be sure.

The Ultra-Lube has been included in my order with the CQB plus 2 extra mags.

I do not know what I would do with out you guys at this forum...and I don't even want to try!
Old March 21, 2013, 02:09 PM   #33
BigJimP

Hey, its fun helping you spend your money !!!

( now consider ordering a 2nd Wilson ...in 9mm !! )....
---------
You know you can't live with just one !
Old March 21, 2013, 02:46 PM   #34
gunluver

Me too BigJim!!
Old March 21, 2013, 02:47 PM   #35
Spats McGee
Staff

Oh, come on, guys! Let's spend his money on a Nighthawk next.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:50 PM   #36
BigJimP

Ok, guys, variety is a good thing....

Nighthawk is certainly not a bad gun...( one of my buddy's has 3 or 4 of them ) ...but honestly, I like my Wilson's a whole lot better...

( but if he doesn't want another Wilson ... ....and he has to make a
2nd best choice / I might say an Ed Brown over a Nighthawk ) .....but any of the three mfg's are nice guns, in my opinion...

My Wilson Combat - Protector model, all stainless ( basically a dressed up CQB ) ...in 9mm
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1341002367

My Wilson Combat - CQB - 5" in .45 acp ...black armor tuff...not as nice as his order - but similar to what he's ordered...this one is my carry gun...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1360863612

but I do love the all stainless wilson in 9mm ...and man, is it easy to shoot !

Last edited by BigJimP; March 21, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:03 PM   #37
Vinnie Harold

Thanks guys, but be careful...if you keep spending my money for me, I'm going to "sig" my wife on you....if she knew what I was paying for the first (and maybe only) Wilson, I might not live the 14 months to try it out.

At the risk of angering any of you, I have a hard chrome STI in 9mm, so my next .45, should I decide on one, bullets are more expensive than 9mm, will be a less expensive weapon....and I will probably go with a Les Baer

After that, if I am still alive and flush, anything is possible.

Vinnie, signing off while I still have the fingers to do so
Old March 21, 2013, 03:17 PM   #38
Spats McGee
Staff

To be honest, I basically chose the Nighthawk name at random. I don't know enough about them high-dollar guns to help anyone choose between 'em.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:38 PM   #39
BigJimP

No big deal Spats...

But in my opinion, there really isn't that much difference between Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Nighthawk....in terms of quality, fit, finish etc....

I think it comes down to which company you like the best, which of their people you like talking to the best, who will give you the options you want ( Ed Brown doesn't do a lot of options - he's kind of set in his ways )...but both Nighthawk and Wilson will do most anything you want to pay for / ...and if you've been able to fire some of each mfg's guns...what you like esthetically in what they do...

I don't own a Nighthawk, I have a couple of Wilsons which are 2 of the best guns in my safe ( out of 40 or so handguns ), one Ed Brown which is a solid gun, one Baer - which I don't like at all.../ but Les Baer is not in my top 3 mfg's of 1911's...

but a lot of this just comes down to opinion ...it would be very hard to find a bad gun from Wilson, Nighthawk or Ed Brown.....Baer is a different story(in my opinion)...

stay well guys ...I'm going to the range with my Wilson 9mm and an old S&W model 18 4" revolver in .22...and 7 or 8 boxes of ammo for some diversion this afternoon .../ my office is quiet - and I'm bored !!
Old March 21, 2013, 04:47 PM   #40
DaleA

So Vinnie...we're ALL invited over for the BBQ/unveiling when you get it right?

With a 14 month lead time I think we could all arrange to be in the area.

While you'll undoubtedly feel compelled to provide the food and drink I think making it a BYOA (Bring Your Own Ammo) event would be entirely appropriate. We'd take care of that 500 round break-in in about an hour for you. And who knows, in 14 months .45 ammo might be back on the shelves again.

On the semi-serious side, for a home/range gun (not carry) I applaud your decision for adjustable sights. Done right - and I'm sure Wilson will do them right - they will be reliable and a joy to use.
Old March 21, 2013, 05:19 PM   #41
Vinnie Harold

Dale, funny.

You had me in stitches...BYOA...bring your own ammo!~

I like it!

Thanks guys, I appreciated your help and your humor.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:28 AM   #42
LockedBreech

Just ordered a CQB..what else?

It's very fun helping someone spend their money. I got to spend $700 of a friend's building him a sweet desktop PC last week. I can build a system that'd cost 1200-1400, and since I buy only quality components, the systems are rock solid.

Didn't even charge him for assembly. Too much fun.