The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 21, 2011, 02:10 AM   #26
chris in va

Dad willed it to you, specifically? Keep it.
Old January 21, 2011, 02:59 AM   #27
TheGoldenState

First of all I would never sell/trade that gem. Then you add in that it was from dad, and it's not even a minute potential. You'd be crazy to sell, imo.

Keep it. Shoot it. Feel it. Want it. Love it. Need it.

Wait what?
Old January 21, 2011, 04:29 AM   #28
goodspeed(TPF)

Looks good man.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old January 21, 2011, 04:58 AM   #29
T-90

Early 80's HK? See if you can find out if the barrel is laser cut polygonal rifling. If so then, you should avoid soft point lead bullets with it, as soft point lead rounds can damage the laser cut polygonal barrel.
Old January 21, 2011, 08:53 AM   #30
greyeyezz

If the S ever HTF you are welcome to my acreage.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:09 AM   #31
AK103K

Nice find, and with many of the goodies to boot!

I had two 91's back in the 90's, sold both for just over $2000 each for the rifles alone at the turn of this century. Made a bunch more on the accessories.

I'd keep it and shoot it if I were you. They are very reliable and accurate rifles, although many American shooters dont understand them and complain about minor things that are easily dealt with.

The HK G3 was probably the first true combat rifle "package", and well designed. It comes out of the box ready for use, and doesnt need "after thought" accessories. They all came set up for useable and zero repeatable optic mounts, quick interchangeable configurations, and a sling system others are still trying to copy.

They have what I consider to be the best combat iron sights going. They are fast and easy to use.

The factory commercial HK "claw mounts" with the "fixed" rings are/were not really the best of the breed. The did/do usually command a premium price wise though.

Youre best bet here, is either one of the ARMS claw mounts without the rings (they have a rail), or one of the surplus mounts, and the ARMS will probably be your best bet. The ARMS mount allows you to mount scopes or red dots. I always preferred the Beeman SS-3 on mine. The whole thing mount and scope would fit in a blouse or pants pocket.

Youll probably learn pretty quick to ditch the bipod. They are annoying when folded, and sit to high for shooting from in most instances. Its the only thing they did I really didnt like.

The port buffer (that rubber thing in the metal clamp at the rear of the ejection port) is a great thing to have, especially if you reload. It actually does two things. It keeps the brass from about halving itself against the rear of the ejection port on ejection, and it redirects the the brass more forward on ejection.

Dont sweat the soot and flute marks on the brass, they clean up and reload fine.

The carry handle is cool and all, but I soon took them off of mine, and kept them with the bipods.

The sling takes some getting used to, but the manual (and fooling around with it) should explain it pretty well and easier than typing it here.

Dont sweat the lack of a bolt hold open, or the charging handle. With a little familiarization and shooting, and youll get it figured out.

One thing you do need to do on loading is, dont ride the charging lever down. You have to either do the HK "slap" from the lock back notch, or pull it back and let it go forward on its own. If you dont, the gun will likely only give you single shots. The HK's use a "roller lock", and the rollers need to lock up in the receiver for the gun to function properly. If you ride the bolt down easily, they often dont lock up, causing problems.

Youll hear a lot of complaints about the trigger, but dont sweat that either. They are not an "American " type trigger, but once you spend some time with themn, and get used to them, they work very well, especially for a "combat" gun, and you can shoot as well with them as most anything else with a "stock" trigger.
Old January 21, 2011, 05:00 PM   #32
Biff Tannen

More thanks!

chris in va: & TheGoldenState:
Well, Dad left it in the family, I ended up with it... It's been in the attic for all these years, I guess pop was preparing for WW3 haha!

T-90:
Thanks for the advice!

AK103K
Thanks for the TON of personal experience advice!!!

Tags
heckler koch , hk 91 , hk91 , preban