The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 4, 2006, 12:26 AM   #1
nkielborn

boots and camo

I have two questions will almost any type of boot work such as a service boot (thnik military tropical boots) or should you really get a hunting boot. will their be a diffrence cause im almost sure both are water proof. i live in a warm state so im not to concearned about needing them for freezing cold temps worst i could think of it being would be around 35 so i dont think i need mickey mouse boots. then my other question should your cammo be completely unison. your pants and jacket match perfectly or be as close as possible. or if you had a green camo pattern jacket or shirt with light brown camo pants would that be okay. thanks for any help i get.
Old December 4, 2006, 12:34 AM   #2
mete

You can mix and match camo .Sitting still is more important than any camo !!
Old December 4, 2006, 12:59 AM   #3
Fremmer

In a warm climate, a regular boot should work fine as long as it is waterproof and it breathes. If 35 will be the coldest, a good pair of wool socks will help in the morning. Have a lighter pair to change into for the afternoon.

Camo? It can't hurt. I like mine because it is waterproof and tough. I still have to wear an orange vest on top. I think camo has helped me at certain times when a deer is really close, especially when I'm sitting next to brush in the timber. Or maybe I've just been lucky. I'm thinking about getting a very light mesh pair of gloves to wear when it is warm, and I'll try and match the camo of the gloves to the camo of my jacket because I think that the hands often move in front of or next to the body, and I don't want a different or contrasting glove/jacket camo. Sometimes you have to move your hands, and my big pale hands really stand out when I don't wear gloves.

But lots of people wearing just regular green and brown clothing kill lots of deer every year. Buy it if you want it, or just go with with what you've got.
Old December 4, 2006, 01:52 AM   #4
Rangefinder

For boots, just keep your feet warm and dry. The rest is open to whatever else the terrain might call for.

Camo--pattern matching is the big issue for the visual effect--not color. Animals will see pattern and movement differences very easily, so try to match with the areas you'll spend the most time in specifically. Doesn't matter if it's OD green or hot pink--if the pattern matches and you aren't moving, they'll have a hard time picking you out from just another bush.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 4, 2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Twycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangefinder
For boots, just keep your feet warm and dry. The rest is open to whatever else the terrain might call for.
+1.

As far as the camo issue, matching patterns is, IMHO, an issue of personal preference. I like to keep all one pattern, but so far that hasn't made me a more successful hunter. Camo becomes important when hunting turkeys, it's not particularly important for deer (unless, I suppose, you are hunting at very short ranges, which I have never done).
Old December 4, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Clayfish

Camo matching is not important. Heck, camo is not important. Camo is a relativly new creation and many more deer and other game have fallen to hunters without camo than with it over the centuries. As a matter of fact the standard hunting apparel 50 years ago was wool pants and a flannel jacket. The idea behind camo is to break up your silohette and the flannel will break it up just as well. I've killed deer in jeans and patterned shirts just as well as I've killed them in matching camo. Deer are color blind and really don't see that well. Their eyes are tuned to movement so as long as you are still you can shoot them in a santa costume if you wanted. We as hunters can be the most gulible consumers out there. We spend thousands of dollars yearly on things we don't need like gum-o-flage and the deer-view-mirror. Try to get back to basics. I challenge each and every one of you to go hunting, just once, like your grandfather did in flannel and wool and just carry your gun. No deer urine or grunt calls. Just a gun and a knife.

Just to add, I do usually wear camo but it doesn't always match and I've killed plenty of deer.
Old December 4, 2006, 10:36 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Camo is a Good Thing for turkey hunters, and sorta helpful for ducks and doves. Otherwise it's completely unnecessary.

For deer and varmints, any old dull earth-color clothing will do. Some khaki gets a bit light with washing and age, but khaki to brown, with dull green--that sort of stuff. I've never had a deer give a hoot about me wearing Levis...

If you're in hard-dirt country, or where it's pretty rocky, a smooth crepe-sole works better. In soft-dirt country, "waffle stomper" cleated soles are good--but don't come into the house with them on; Mama gets mad.

Art
Old December 4, 2006, 02:49 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

What Clay & Art said. Any good boot will do, as long as it meets your needs for warmth, comfort, and staying dry. The advantage to NOT buying camo is that you can also wear them casually without being out of the ordinary. The only advantage to buying camo is just as an instantly-recognizable marker for your own self, that "ok, these are my hunting boots; therefore I will wash them and store them in a plastic bag until the hunt to keep household scents off of them" - just a simple way to help with visual organization of your stuff.

But even with turkeys, I really don't think camo boots are necessary or even helpful - your feet are down in the ground & grass, and a little brown or black (preferably brown) just looks like a rock or clump of grass. Main thing is to camo your face, hands, and upper & lower body. Doesn't hurt to camo your gun too, although I don't think this is too necessary since to a turkey it just looks like a horizontal limb or stick, I would think.
Old December 4, 2006, 07:11 PM   #9
NRA4life

While bow hunting from a tree stand, I like to go all the same in a tree bark pattern. When turkey hunting from the ground, I mix them to have a tree bark on top and a woodland pattern on the pants.
Old December 4, 2006, 07:37 PM   #10
whiskey

I will offer that military "Jungle Boots" are not water proof. They have two holes above the sole near the arches. This is so they drain when you get out of the waist deep water.

Service boots will work, but you may have cold feet even in warmmer states. I live in south florida and on cold days my feet hurt with cold because I use uninsulated boots. A comfortable pair of hunting boots will keep you in the field longer and keep you happier while you are there.
Old December 5, 2006, 04:14 AM   #11
stevelyn

Absolutely do not scrimp on boots. Cold, wet feet will ruin your attitude in a hurry and sucky boots aren't great for much hiking either.
Camo.........I have it (ASAT), but I normally only wear the top with Carhartts and only when I need to get out of the boat to check lakes and ponds off the sloughs.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 5, 2006, 09:55 AM   #12
roger1shot

Snake Boots

Hey,
Didn't read all the post on this subject.
But I to have the same problem,hunting in the heat.
Here in Texas open week of deer season it was up in the Mid 80's.
I sure felt better walking around in the woods in my Rocky Snake boots.
And when it's cold,I like the merino wool socks,they are warm,
and unlike reg. wool they do not itch.
Hope this helps
Old December 5, 2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sometimes I wonder how I ever made it to the teenage years, running all over a few hundred acres, barefoot, killing the occasional rattlesnake. It's now "Castlewood Forest" and "9000 Manchaca Road, Austin", but back then it was pretty wild country...

Art
Old December 5, 2006, 10:52 AM   #14
DBski

Just wondering, here in Michigan you must wear Blaze Orange or Blaze Camo ( or at least have some Blaze showing) when hunting with firearms. Yet everyone is talking about camo. What are the requirements in your state?
Old December 5, 2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Clayfish

Here in GA you must wear at least 500 square inches of blaze orange during ML season and rifle season. You dan't have to wear it during archery season. Deer see blaze orange as a dull brown.
Old December 6, 2006, 05:24 AM   #16
stevelyn

Alaska doesn't require it.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 6, 2006, 07:21 AM   #17
ZeroJunk

Seems like the jackets and coats made of quiet warm waterproof material with pockets etc. designed for hunters only come in some camo pattern.The non hunting color jackets are loud in the woods,or don't have any extra pockets.I would rather have a drab green or something but the best hunting coats just don't seem to come that way.
Old December 6, 2006, 07:50 AM   #18
SD_Chop

gotta wear blaze orange (ie a hat) in va in the fall hunting. Heck my grandad wears solid blaze jacket and does not have problems. I match my camo to same type (real tree hardwood) just cause i can be like that sometimes, everything has to look uniform. But it does not matter at all. Should be worried more about what they can hear and smell if deer hunting. Their vision is no that great anyways, when you see deer point towards you its usually for hearing not vision. Deer can see 310deg. with their eyes being place on the side and cant focus both eyes on 1 object anyways. But they can hear and smell you hundreds of yards away. As far as boots just think dry, if it does not get to chilly your way then anything 600grams and water proof should be fine.