The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2005, 06:00 PM   #1
jcims

Any good 45acp starter recipes?

Hi,

My brother and i just picked up our first .45s yesterday. After enjoying every minute of the first few hundred rounds of factory ammo, i'm thinking about how to get the reloading going...

He's got a Hornady LNL setup and dies for 9mm. He's not going to let me help him pay for the .45 dies, so i want to get us started on supplies. Neither of us having any great experience with reloading, so i'd like to start off with a fairly straightforward load that doesn't use a finicky powder or difficult bullet. These are going to be used primarily for paper punching and plinking, with a few boxes of factory thrown in for reference every now and then.

I'd like to find a fairly clean burning powder, if possible, and as i had seen in a previous thread, if there is one that would make a double charge all the more obvious (i.e case overflow), that would be preferrable. For the bullet, I think i'd like to stick with something ~230 grain ball just because it seems simpler, not because i know why.

My goal would be to pick something and buy the supplies needed for ~2000 rounds, just to get into a groove and have fun along the way.

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks
Old September 25, 2005, 06:54 PM   #2
pyrotechnic

I've had really good luck with Hogdon's Universal Clays, and the Hornady 230gr XTP bullet. My best load is the max load of 6.0gr. It really zings them out of my USP45F at 933 fps and is rediculously accurate to boot. The only problems you might have is getting it to meter consistently out of your powder measure.

Regards,
Maarten
Old September 25, 2005, 08:28 PM   #3
918v

Universal is also very accurate with 185gr. JHP's.
Old September 25, 2005, 08:46 PM   #4
rnovi

Clays 3.7-8 gr., 230 gr RN. I clock 825fps out of my 4" 625JM. For a bit less recoil, go to a 200gr bullet, same 3.7-8 gr of Clays.

My favorite load is a 200gr Lead RNWC, 3.8 Clays. As clean as they come and very accurate.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old September 25, 2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Robert M Boren Sr

There's lots of cheap 230gr plinking bullets for the 45 out there. Berry's, Montana Golds, WestCoast. I would decide what bullet brand you want to use then get that manual and go from there. It doesn't hurt to have several actually. I have just about all of them and as soon as an new or updated one comes out it get it. Just a thought.
Old September 25, 2005, 09:43 PM   #6
rcksil

Hello JCIMS
I just started reloading a couple of months ago and have tried various loads. I have settled with 2 powders; Titegroup and W231. Since I have good old Carpal Tunnel I load mine light. I use 185 gr swc with 4.6 grains of Titegroup and the same for W231. The accuracy of both of these are good. They both are clean powders. These are light enough to cycle my P97 without the mule kick! I found a local shop that sells bullets by the 100 so I can find the best for me. Good luck, enjoy and take your time reloading, trust me!
Old September 26, 2005, 05:31 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

simple sity

230g W-W / R-P FMJ-RN, CCI300, case (Starline) -- sized, OAL 1.255--1.265", crimp @ .469--.471".

Powder?
5.0--5.3g W231.
Old September 26, 2005, 06:17 AM   #8
Peter M. Eick

230 grn FMJ, Starline brass, cci300 primer, 4.9 grns of bullseye, 1.272 COL.

Thats my 45 acp standard. Not the cleanest, but very accurate.
Old September 26, 2005, 06:34 AM   #9
vinconco

200 gr lead SWC H&G 68 style. Great plinking bullet, less expensive than 230 gr lead or jacketed. Bullseye, 231 or Clays are good powders for this round as well. Make sure you use a taper crimp die and don't over do it.
Old September 26, 2005, 06:56 AM   #10
rcksil

WESHOOT2
When you mention .469--.471" for a crimp how do you actually measure that. I always sortof guess at 1/2 turn. Tnx
Old September 26, 2005, 11:43 AM   #11
918v

By measuring the very edge of your case mouth with a dial caliper after crimping.
Old September 26, 2005, 12:13 PM   #12
AlaskaMike

I just shot my first .45 reloads this weekend, and I really liked the ones I loaded with W231. I also tried Blue Dot and Unique. The bullets were all plated 200 gr. round nose. I think I may be having a problem with my crimping though--they were jamming quite a bit going up the feed ramp of my Sig P220 (maybe 1 out of three).

Mike
Old September 26, 2005, 03:02 PM   #13
RugerOldArmy

A few good ones. I use Starline brass

4.0-4.2 Gr Clays, 230 Gr FMJ, WLP, 1.255" (not universal clays, regular clays)
5.0 Gr Bullseye, 230 Gr FMJ, WLP, 1.255"
4.0-4.1 Gr N310, 200 Gr LSWC, WLP, 1.27" OAL
5.4-5.7 Gr Win 231, 230 Gr FMJ, WLP, 1.255" OAL

Loads in Bold are just a hair over book. (Work up, use at your own risk, TFL nor self not responsible, etc.)
Old September 26, 2005, 03:44 PM   #14
Old Shooter

A nice mild load that's great for paper punching is Tightgroup 3.7grain under a 230gr LRN. I recommend Tightgroup because it's a nice powder and the cheapest of the bunch to buy.

Personally I'll be switching to Clays for a trial run in place of Tightgroup only because in a thread I started last week I understand that Clays is a little cleaner and @ 3.7 I can still make a major power factor. I need 4.3 to make it with Tightgroup.

You don't need to go to the top of the chart just to prove you have a 45. You can work up to a heavy load as you get used to it and for whatever reason you think you need to.

The purpose of my load is fast target to target acquisition in action pistol shooting.
Old September 26, 2005, 10:35 PM   #15
Dave R

I'm also a Tightgroup fan, but I don't go that light. I use 5.2gr. of Tightgroup, under a 200gr. Lazer-Cast bullet. Clean and accurate.

WARNING, though. Tightgroup is so space-efficient that you can easily miss a double-charge. You could probably fit a quadruple charge in the case. So be extra careful of powder charges if you use it.
Old September 26, 2005, 11:11 PM   #16
RugerOldArmy

Old Shooter,

I dunno if 3.7 Gr of Clays will make Major w/a 230 Gr LRN. Is this IDPA, which I believe has a lower PF for major than IPSC?

With a FMJ 230 Gr RN, I believe you have to go over book max (4.0 as I remember). I barely made IPSC major with 4.2 Gr and a 230 FMJ.

Clays is a very fast powder, and I didn't like going to 4.2 Gr...it seems better suited to the mild loads. 4.0 Gr w/Clays is a very popular load w/230 Gr. hardball around here, but in my 1911 Gov't is just UNDER IPSC major on my chrono.

Recoil (perceived) with Clays is very, very light. Like N310...but both seem best suited for lighter loads.

On another note, and IMO, clean-burning is not an attribute worth seeking. I clean my guns regardless. Only a very dirty powder, that prohibited function would be something I'd avoid, and I've yet to find that. (And I like antique...er..unique for some 9mm loads.)

But if clean was desired, I can't imagine much cleaner than Clays or N310 with plated or FMJ/JHP. Now with lead, I just can't imagine any powders being clean period. (Some are less smokey with lead, but the lube is probably going to prohibit the loads being clean.)
Old September 27, 2005, 01:33 AM   #17
BigSlick

Lots of good recipes for 45 ACP out there, some of the best are listed above.

For a great starter powder, give AA#5 a try. It was developed specifically for the 45 ACP, it fills the case enough that a double is blatantly apparent, it burns clean and has a pretty soft recoil (compared to *some* other powders).

230 gr ball, I use Rainiers or Montana Golds because that's what I currently have on hand. Berrys, Zero, R-P, Magtech, Win and a host of others will work.

8.0 gr AA#5
1.260 OAL
.471 crimp
WLP primer
Mixed cases (No AMERC please)

Chronos ~820 out of 5" ~800 from 4½", dumps brass about 6 feet to the right rear in about a two foot circle. More accurate than most people can shoot offhand, burns completely and feeds like a dream in any powder measure I am aware of. Pretty soft recoil (for an 800 fps load) and the 8.0 gr load leaves lots of room to load up or down and still be within published limits.

It is my current favorite load for light range work.

I have loaded W231, Power Pistol, a ton of Titegroup, HS-6 and a couple of others. I haven't tried straight Clays (yet) but hear good things about it.

W231 doesn't group for crap in my 45ACP (but does great in a shooting buddy's gun).

Power Pistol is a good powder for a lot of things, but the muzzle flash and report might be a little more than someone wants to start with. Great all around powder (maybe the best) for 10mm loads with some oomph.

TiteGroup is a real favorite of mine, 4.6-4.8gr with the above specs makes for a great range load, but TG is a little sooty unless you get the pressure up a bit (5.1 gr burns clean as a whistle), and should you load a double is not always apparent, recoil is snappy, rather than a push and it can be loud. Lower power (4.2-4.4) TG loads are used often with cast bullets, but I don't care for the amount of soot at those levels.

HS-6 has been around for ages and lots of folks use it with the 45 ACP. It meters well, but I have found it to be somewhat erratic dependent upon temps and humidity. When it is warm outside and the humidity is down, it's hard to beat.

Give AA#5 a try, if you don't care for the results, you could always burn it up in the 9mm, it makes a great mid-upper range load in 9x19.

HTH

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old September 27, 2005, 04:44 AM   #18
jcims

Thanks!

Hey! Just got back to TFL...quite a cornucopia of recipes here!!! Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

For this first round i think i'm going to go with the AA#5 that BigSlick recommends... It looks like a lot of folks like Clays and W231, but the AA#5 seems to have the fattest (8.0gr, AA shows 7.7-8.5max) load for 230gr ball. Probably screwy criteria for reloading, but you have to start somewhere.

One more quick question...do you folks typically mail order all of your components? Seems like some of the hazmat stuff might be cheaper to pick up at a store locally. Bullets and brass don't look too bad for mailorder.

thanks again!
Old September 27, 2005, 05:42 AM   #19
Old Shooter

RugerOldArmy "I dunno if 3.7 Gr of Clays will make Major w/a 230 Gr LRN. Is this IDPA, which I believe has a lower PF for major than IPSC?"

I shoot IDPA and the power factor is 165K for major. I picked up some Clays last night and will try it out today. Let you know.
Old September 27, 2005, 10:18 AM   #20
Old Shooter

I just loaded about a dozen rounds with 3.6 gr of Clays under 230gr LRN and Federal primers. They chrono an average of 169K fired from my 5" S&W 1911DK so I am good to go. BTW they are really soft to shoot - a little softer then Tightgroup using the same powder weight and they make major where TG doesn't.
Old September 27, 2005, 03:01 PM   #21
W Turner

I can second the recommendation for 8.0 gr. of AA#5. Using this with Zero 230gr. FMJ bullets let me produce a 2" group the second time out with my Springfield Lightweight loaded. This was fired offhand st 25 yards.

I have also started using this load with 200gr. LSWC and it is a great load with slightly les recoil. doesn't seem to be as accurate though.

I tried Clays recently and I didn't see a real advantage in the shooting. It doesn't meter for crap in my powder measure though (Lyman #55). The AA#5 is smooth as silk and throws at my setting 95% of the time.

W
Old September 27, 2005, 06:35 PM   #22
smedley

My 1991 A2 enjoys chowing down on some 185gn Speer Gold Dots that are launched with 8.2gns of Unique.
Tried a few other recipes but Colt said no no no. :barf: :barf: Spoiled rotten little bugger anyhow. W231 was not complained about to much but Unique is prefered.

Smedley

Stick em in at the bench a LAUNCH em down the barrel!!
Old September 30, 2005, 12:21 PM   #23
Toney

I like the 230lrn over 6.3grains unique with cci primer . They av 909fps over the cr . Blast is'nt to bad