The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2009, 09:47 PM   #1
number9

New Owner of 870 Police

Local fun store has a large batch of KY State Police shotguns in stock. Some were very rough for $200-219 but some looked pretty good $230. I originally wanted the "870 Police Magnum" but those in good condition were $270. I brought this one home today. It is an 870 Wingmaster with 20" barrel with rifle sights, SpeedFeed I stock and a sling. It's got some marks on the receiver and barrel from handling and such but the inside of the action and barrel look really good from what I can tell. I'm happy with the money spent. I think I'd like to add a wood police stock at some point, I really like that old time classic look on these guns.

From the charts I have seen online, the "K" stamp on the barrel would indicate the barrel at least is from 1963 or 1990 - IF these charts apply to police issue guns.

The receiver marking and the serial # starting and ending with a "V". If the charts online are for the receiver it would indicate the gun is from 1979 or 2001, again, if the charts apply to police issue guns. I will call Remington on Monday and see what they can tell me about it.

The inside looks to have little wear and the slide is smooth as butter.

Anyone here able to tell me anything about the gun by the markings on it? You all think I did okay with this buy?

Old August 21, 2009, 09:50 PM   #2
colostomyclown

Go back to the store and buy another one...or two for that price. If I had the money and saw one locally for that price I'd snap that sucker up. 870 Tactical EXPRESSES are going for 450-475 new...they're ant 1/3rd of the gun yours is. So to pay half what those are going for...yeah. So there's a little chracter marking on em...meh. Gun's a beaut. I'm a Mossberg guy but I do have to admire a fine 870 Wingmaster or Police.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
number9

From what I understand the original 870 Police guns were Wingmasters, then later marked as 870 Magnum and then later 870 Police Magnum, right?

Old August 21, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

Give Remington a call (1-800-243-9700) during business hours, and go through the phone tree. When you get to the right place, give the nice person your model # and serial # and they can tell you what year your shotgun left the factory and what configuration it was in.

From the receiver markings I'd say 1960s but that's a guess. Since barrels are so easily interchangeable, it's better to date it by the serial number.

VERY nice- you did good. A set of Police gun walnut would really look nice on that one. Get yourself some good hard carnauba based wax and go to work on the metal, you'll be surprised at the luster it brings out. Plus it will seal the finish and help prevent rust as well.

Enjoy it, and stay safe,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 21, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Wouldn't have been Bud's would it? Looked at several that looked sorta like that in that price range online the other night. Woulda probably bought one if I hadn't been after a GP100. Of course I already have a few 870's.........but then again I already had a few GP100's too.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old August 21, 2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Naterstein

Yeah I wish I woulda had the cash for one myself I woulda pounced on it.
Old August 21, 2009, 11:03 PM   #7
number9

Yes, it was Buds Police Supply in Lexington.

Old August 22, 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
csmsss

Sweet deal! Add you a magazine extension tube, and you have the perfect home/self defense firearm.
Old August 22, 2009, 11:26 AM   #9
TxGun

Nice shotgun! Great price. A little more care goes into the build of the Wingmasters and Police guns.
Old August 22, 2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Creeper

Quote:
The inside looks to have little wear and the slide is smooth as butter.
Most police shotguns are carried (or stored) a lot, shot a little... and cleaned on occasion.

A good D&R and cleaning followed by the previously suggested wax job and that gun is ready to rock for another 40 years. Good buy.

C
Old August 23, 2009, 01:53 AM   #11
number9

Quote:
Lee Lapin
VERY nice- you did good. A set of Police gun walnut would really look nice on that one. Get yourself some good hard carnauba based wax and go to work on the metal, you'll be surprised at the luster it brings out. Plus it will seal the finish and help prevent rust as well.
Got any specific brand you guys use? First I ever heard of using wax on a gun. I'd sure try it though.

Old August 23, 2009, 06:34 AM   #12
dalecooper51

Quote:
Got any specific brand you guys use? First I ever heard of using wax on a gun. I'd sure try it though.
I've used Johnson's paste wax in the past. I have recently run out of it and am using Howard Feed-N-Wax, which is a beeswax, carnuba, and orange oil mixture. I put a thin coat on the metal and wood. Take the wood off and do the inside of the forearm and where the stock meets the receiver and under the recoil pad. Just re-apply every so often and you will build up a nice sheen and the gun will be protected.

********ETA Missed the synthetic stocks on your gun. The two products will work for metal also. I don't see why Turtle wax wouldn't work either. It's a carnuba wax also.
Old August 23, 2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great deal,mechanical immortality and reliability for a few days' pay.

Police guns tend to be worn outside and like new inside, unless you get a training weapon.

It does need exercise as well as TLC and PM.

Enjoy....
Old August 24, 2009, 10:43 AM   #14
number9

Called Remington today and gave them my serial #. They say it's a "1986 Folding Stock 20" Imp Cyl with Rifle Sights". I asked about the barrel code being 1983 and he said it was completely possible for that barrel to have came on this gun from the factory - he confirmed the serial # and assured me it's a 1986. I was for sure it was an '83 from the info provided in another forum, but they say '86. Either way, I'm still happy with it.

Old August 26, 2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870 parts get swapped around like Lego pieces,9. Of the five here, only two have the original barrels on them, and one of those is heavily modified.

Go with the serial number to get the age.

Regardless of age, you have one great shotgun for deer, defense and fun.

Now go wear it out......
Old September 1, 2009, 06:34 PM   #16
rantingredneck

Quote:
Wouldn't have been Bud's would it? Looked at several that looked sorta like that in that price range online the other night. Woulda probably bought one if I hadn't been after a GP100. Of course I already have a few 870's.........but then again I already had a few GP100's too.
...........famous last words.................

I should have one of these KY Police trade in 870's arriving at my LGS in a few days. I knew I shouldn't have gone back to Bud's web site. Just couldn't pass up the deal.............

Old September 4, 2009, 10:52 PM   #17
number9

LOL - good on ya. Which did you get? Wingmaster or the Police Magnum? post up pics when you get it.

The thought has crossed my mind to pic up another one....... or two..... for my 2 boys but so far I have been able to resist the temptation.

Old September 4, 2009, 11:02 PM   #18
rantingredneck

I got the Police Magnum. The finish is in rougher shape than yours, from handling and jostling in a cruiser, but the action bars and mag tube show almost no wear. Aside from occasional quals, I doubt this thing was shot very much at all. Looks as if the dept. duracoated it at some point in it's history. Kinda thinking about stripping all that down and seeing what's underneath. May end up re-doing the duracoat and calling it done.

Then again, this will likely get further jostling under the back seat of my truck, so who cares??

Old September 13, 2009, 11:22 PM   #19
eddienyr

yeah I bought the magnum version from them. I plan on refinishing it in Norrels Moly Resin to match my AR's
Old September 13, 2009, 11:53 PM   #20
doh_312

Jealous!!!!!!