The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 4, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1
SRE

1964 Winchester Model 94 Receiver Finish?

Please check out my attached pic of my Winchester Model 94. This rifle was as per serial number was made in 1964. I've had this rifle for a while, acquired it in a trade and am wonder if anyone has seen this receiver finish before. The barrel is blued and gorgeous as well as everything else that is supposed to be. Except for this receiver, the way the finish is, inside the receiver and out, it appears to be factory. Can my assumptions be correct? Or did someone just do a really good job of removing the bluing some time ago?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1431.jpg (243.5 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (240.5 KB, 316 views)
Old July 4, 2013, 03:27 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

In 1964 Winchester changed several things about the Model 94 to cheapen manufacture, which also cheapened quality.

One was the switch to a sintered metal (sorta a cast process) in place of a forged steel frame.
The new process metal wouldn't take conventional bluing, so it was iron plated, and the iron could then be blued.
The result was a finish that didn't hold up well with use & frequently ended up wearing off or rusting. Or both.
Denis
Old July 4, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
BillM

As mentioned above, they tried to make them cheaper by changing the
receiver metal. The finish wears, gets rust freckles, and generally doesn't
hold up well.

I sort of suspect that your gun has been refinished. The edges on the
receiver look a little soft, and some of the screw holes look a touch
dished. One of the other attributes of the "new and improved" '64
metal was that it doesn't re-blue well. Usually comes out some shade of
gray or purple. Your finish is pretty even over the whole receiver, I'm
thinking it was polished out and tanked, with poor results.
Old July 4, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
SRE

Polished out and tanked?

I know all about pre/post 64 pre/post war etc... this receiver just looks different, and its hard to explain. Pics do not do it justice, in person the gun looks almost like you want to say it came that way from the factory. But pointed taken on the dishing. I can see that faintly.
Old July 4, 2013, 03:52 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

He was saying if it had rusted beyond its previous owner's ability to tolerate, it could have been polished to remove the rust & oxidized surface and then dunked in a bluing tank, which wouldn't have produced a normal blued appearance.
Denis
Old July 5, 2013, 04:20 PM   #6
PetahW

It's a reblue that didn't "take" on the receiver, due to the reason(s) listed above about the change from a forged steel receiver in 1963 to one of sintered (pressed powdered) metal (steel ?) in the 1964 model year.

Old July 5, 2013, 05:59 PM   #7
LAH

I also have a 94 made in 1964. My receiver is exactly like yours only more worn. I love the way it looks. Mine isn't a re blue, the blue is just worn away. The little rifle functions like a champ & shoots very well with my cast loads.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Malamute

I had one that went motley off colored. I tried to cold blue it but it didnt take well. After trying several types, the stuff from Brownells did best, tho it looked more like color case hardening than blue. A guy on the leverguns forum refinished one by carefully sanding/polishing off the iron plating, then cold blueing, it turned out pretty decent actually. It took the cold blue pretty well.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old July 6, 2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Paul B.

My ex-son in law has a post 64 M94 that had the bluing on the receiver go bad. He polished the reeiver down to bare metal and cave it some kind of clear coating that was not shiny. Make a pretty nice looking gun. I do have an M94 made on or about 1981 (when I bought it NIB) that is a servicable rifle but is a bit loose and rattely. Shoots OK and is good enough to be a truck gun. Shoots cast bullets just fine. If the receiver ever gets ratty looking, so be it. After all, truck guns ain't supposed to look purty.
Paul B.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Jack O'Conner

The alloy used in the mid-1960's to late 1970's did not "hold" traditional bluing very well. One way to refinish is with powder-coating in flat black.

Jack
Old July 9, 2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
The alloy used in the mid-1960's to late 1970's did not "hold" traditional bluing very well. One way to refinish is with powder-coating in flat black.
I'd rather have it scruffy looking.
Old July 9, 2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

I thought Winchester went to a cast receiver in 1964, not a sintered metal receiver...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

Nope, sintered.
Denis
Old July 9, 2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Hawg

Most of what I've found says sintered.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:17 PM   #15
DPris
Member Emeritus

Several years ago I was told sintered by Winchester people.
Denis
Old July 10, 2013, 06:05 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've looked into it a bit more and yep, it's sintered graphitic steel.

Interesting. I had thought that they went to castings.

Old July 10, 2013, 06:28 AM   #17
giaquir

I'd be proud to own that rifle.
It looks great.
ron
Old July 10, 2013, 11:01 AM   #18
hammie

@MIKEIRWIN: Like you, I always thought it was a casting. Powdered metal technology was still in its infancy in 1964, and I've been skeptical that a receiver could be made with the necessary tensile and shear strength for that application. However, I'm not a metallurgist.

I've never found an authoritative source for the casting versus sintered metal question in the post '64 receivers. Apparently you did. Thanks for setting the matter to rest.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:07 AM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hammie,

Let's make certain that we're talking correct terms...

The receivers are NOT metal injection molded, in which powdered metal is put into a form and then subjected to extreme pressure.

In the sintering process apparently used by Winchester, powdered metal is put into a form, which is then heated to melt the metal. At least I think that's the process that Winchester used.

That kind of sintering process allows very precise control of additives to the metal powder, giving the finished product the exact properties that they want.

Apparently the process is faster, and cheaper, than the traditional method of milling from a billet of steel.

It's SORT of like casting in that both use forms.

Old July 10, 2013, 12:01 PM   #20
hammie

@MI: I appreciate the clarification.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:07 PM   #21
DPris
Member Emeritus

Sintered metal was adopted solely because it was cheaper than complex milling on a forged frame.
Quicker was a good part of it.
Denis