The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Jbotto

Crusty necks on brass w/pictures

Hey everyone, today I found some Black Hills boxes that I packed away with the once fired brass. I pulled them out and checked them out. Half of the brass or more has a gray crust on the case necks and the shoulders. What's the deal with this brass? Anything I should worry about from a reloading purpose or should I just wipe them off, and reload them? Thanks in advance for all the answers in response to this thread!

-Jb

Last edited by Jbotto; February 25, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old February 25, 2012, 09:58 PM   #2
saitek

green brass

your going to have to neutralize that corrosion if it is not pitted you should be good to go . get a bottle of iosso case cleaner ,midsouth shooters jhas good price's on it .
Old February 26, 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Put them in a gatorade bottle with soapy water with a touch of white vinegar. Shake the crap out of it, then rinse them well. Lay them out to dry. When dry tumble them. The wash will kill whatever caused the corrosion. The tumbler will smooth them out.

After that I would say if you load those do not leave the rounds loaded for a long time. Load thme and shoot them up you should get a few good firings out them.
Old February 26, 2012, 12:13 PM   #4
243winxb

Clean the necks with fine steel wool. If brass color returns to normal, us it. Other wise its scrap to me.