The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Boomer44

410 Hulls

I am looking to buy the "Old Style" AA Winchester Hulls.. Does anyone have some they would like to sell ???
Old May 10, 2016, 09:48 AM   #2
FITASC

Those old CF hulls are nice, but depending on where you live, the shipping might get pricey.

Have you tried all of the local trap/skeet/sporting clay clubs in your area? Most have bulletin boards where they'll let you post a Want To Buy ad.

If you find some, check to make sure they aren't brittle from age and use.

Good luck in your quest!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 10, 2016, 11:18 AM   #3
BigJimP

No, sorry but most of us don't want to sell any of the old style AA hulls in 28ga or .410.....( we only have one 40 gallon garbage can full of them left --- and we might run out )...

You can test it ....( drop one on the ground...so burnt it looks like 5 day old toast / crimp is almost shot clear off the hull.... and the other 4 guys in your squad - will tear an achilles diving for it - before it hits the ground )...
--------------
Sell em....no I'm going to trade that 40 gallon can of them in on a new Lexus LX 570 ( at $ 108,000 ) ..and get change back !!
Old May 10, 2016, 01:00 PM   #4
Boomer44

My Quest Continues.....
Old May 10, 2016, 01:21 PM   #5
FITASC

Some of the Euro hulls can be reloaded easily enough (and are usually a lot easier to find, even in 410 and 28)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 10, 2016, 01:34 PM   #6
BigJimP

Good luck in your search ( and buy as many as you can ! ! )....

....Rem STS are my backup hulls in 28ga and .410 but they're very brittle / and prone to cracking inside the base - but if you're shooting then in an over under its not a big deal- because its easy to see when they break / they will sometimes go up into forcing cone as they break.../ so i would not shoot them in a pump or semi-auto...
Old May 11, 2016, 10:58 AM   #7
PolarFBear

Sorry, don't have any to sell or trade. But, enlighten me. What makes them so special? I reload for hand guns but have never considered .410, or any other shot shell. Always willing to learn. Is the basic Lee Loader a good starting point? From some discussions the implication is that for 12 gage buying new is just as economical.
Old May 11, 2016, 11:33 AM   #8
BigJimP

The old AA's are a much higher quality grade of plastic - last a lot longer / crimp better / hold their crimps better. The new AA's ( are HS hulls ) and not to get too technical but they're a 2 piece hull / they're brittle / they crack after one or two reloads often - and there were some reports that the 2 piece wad base was moving inside after they were fired causing some issues - although winchester may have solved that.

Basically, my opinion is, winchester ( and all ammo mfg's ) do not intend to make shells for reloading ...they would just as soon all hulls crack often / and force you to buy new shells vs reloading.

12ga and 20ga reloads are around $5 a box ...vs retail of $ 8 or so in my area / so yes there is still savings ...but the savings on 28ga and .410 are significant. But if you shoot 10 - 20 boxes a week...$ 3 a box adds up.

The real issue on reloading - is you can customize your shell to what you want ... 3/4 oz ...to 1 1/8 oz --- 7 1/2's, 8's, 8 1/2's, 9's.... and at velocities of 1150 fps to 1300 fps .../ and you can load a much better shell in terms of quality than you can buy - especially the cheaper retail shells. Some of the cheaper retail shells - give really poor patterns / a lot of mis-shaped shot in them -- just lesser quality in general ....vs new Remington STS as an example which are a lot more expensive per box.

Personally, my primary shell in a 12ga is 1 oz of 8's at 1225 fps...and that is not a load that is readily available retail. But I'd reload even if there was no savings...I like the process on shotshells ..and on handgun ammo.

Lee load all - is not a quality loader....MEC produces a number of quality products - from single stages to high end hydraulic progressive presses. MEC probably has 90% of the shotshell reloading market. If you buy a loader...just make sure it resizes the hulls..or you'll have trouble cycling them in a semi-auto or a pump gun probably.

Old WIN hulls - in all gagues - are sought after ...especially in 28ga and .410 ....among skeet shooters especially / and to some extent with sporting clays shooters.
Old May 11, 2016, 04:09 PM   #9
PolarFBear

BigJimP: Thank you, most edifying.
Old May 11, 2016, 04:18 PM   #10
FITASC

Look locally at your trap/skeet clubs for a used MEC Jr. or put up a WTB ad on their bulletin board. Unless you buy your components in bulk - 8# jugs of powder, 5000 wads, 5000 primers, lead by the hundredweight or greater, there isn't a lot of savings in 12 or 20 until you get into something not commercially available.
As an example, I reload both 12 and 20 with only 3/4oz of shot - neither load is available from a mfg. I get 533 loads from a bag of expensive shot (BigJim will get 400 using 1oz) and mine are very easy on the shoulder and even work my gas guns. I also like to use 8.5 shot - TMK, 8.5 is no longer offered in 12 or 20 gauge ammo, which is too bad because it is the perfect size for 16 yard trap, skeet and sporting targets out to 30 yards. So, in MY case, it makes sense to reload for 12 and 20.
Old May 11, 2016, 05:05 PM   #11
BigJimP

Instead of shooting 3/4 oz loads in my 12 ga --- I just shoot my 28ga...( and in the 28ga, I load 3/4 oz of 9's or 8 1/2's at 1200 fps ).....but FITASC is right, its getting harder to find bags of 8 1/2's now.

As an entry level press....I really like the MEC Grabber model, its progressive, but it manually indexes - making it easy to learn on / and its a solid machine that will give you 4 boxes an hour - and they're around $475 new / but I see them around used for $ 250 or so.

Reloading nice light loads of shot ( 3/4 oz in any gague ) makes a good teaching round too - to the young shooters in the family.
Old May 11, 2016, 05:26 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
Instead of shooting 3/4 oz loads in my 12 ga --- I just shoot my 28ga...
I did too, BigJim, but once I discovered 3/4 for 12 and 20, no need to have yet a third reloader, different powder and wads taking up valuable space I don't have. And in my 12 ga gas gun, that 3/4 load is SOFT on the shoulder.