The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
gaseousclay

Mossberg 590A1 on backorder?

the last few times I checked the Mossberg site to check out the 590A1 shotgun it invariably lead me to the Gallery of Guns site and no one in town seems to have it in stock. I assumed all of this panic buying only really applied to semi-auto firearms, not the tactical shotgun market. Is this gun in short supply these days? what's going on?
Old February 20, 2013, 02:10 PM   #2
SPEMack618

my guess is that once people either bought up all the ARs, they went towards "tactical" shotguns or, in some states like Colorado, where even pump guns with 8-rdn tubes are being targeted, thier was a rush, though less publicized, on pump-shotguns.

That being said, if you can find one, can't go wrong with the 590 series. Love mine.

that is, if you don't loose the bolt.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I had a similar issue when I was looking to get my 590A1. I checked all over the net and couldn't find them in stock anywhere. Checked my local shop and they had 2. A friend and I bought both of them.

It seems that the 590A1's come out in batches like once a year or something. If that's what you really want, keep looking and they'll pop up eventually. As a 590A1 owner, I would probably suggest going with the 590SP. It's basically the same without the super heavy barrel, and that heavy barrel does make a different in the shotgun.

I do love the gun though and I'm used to the weight. I've got a pretty nice 870 Tactical as well that I like and have upgraded to all of the 'Police' parts, but I'd take the 590A1 any day. The 590SP would be an acceptable replacement if you can find one of those.

To more directly answer your question... yes... the panic buying has had a sizeable impact on the shotgun market as well. Don't get excited... just browse the usual spots and you'll find something to suit your needs soon enough. I'm a fan of slickguns.com
Old February 22, 2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Mr.Scott

I have no problem finding 590s. Every time I open my safe, 2 of them are patiently waiting on me.

It seems around here , if it is a black gun it is out of stock. Be it, shotgun, handgun, semi auto, pump or bolt. If it is all black it is all gone.