The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
ScottRiqui

How long does it take a new gun to reach the shelf?

When I bought my Remington R1 new in March of 2012, it wasn't exactly a "scarce" model, but gun shops weren't swimming in them either. Most stores seemed to have none, one or maybe two in stock, and they didn't seem to sit on the shelf very long.

So imagine my surprise when I find out that my pistol was already over a year old when I bought it. Likewise, a co-worker of mine just bought a new Sig 250C two weeks ago in the midst of the buying frenzy, and the manufacture date on the box is from 2009.

So where do most new guns spend their time before the first owner takes them home? Are they sitting at the factory, at the distributor, or on the gun store shelf?

Last edited by ScottRiqui; February 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #2
kahrguy

Our general store is the same. They have model that come directly from the makers to wholsaler to dealer as quickly as all can process them. Then they have a few that seem to set around for a could year. I just recieve a handgun I have never seen in a gun shop that sat in a wholsalers stock for almost a year befor I ordered it.

Our general store does not raise prices ether on those older models. Might see two side by side with a large difference in price.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:52 PM   #3
RamItOne

Scott- does your friend know if he's got the old or new grip style on the p250, they had a lot of QC issues at first. They redesigned the gun and the easiest way is by looking at the grip.
See the attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.9 KB, 83 views)

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old February 6, 2013, 05:21 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suspect most of the time "old" guns are the result of stockpiling, either at the factory or the distributor, or both. Most gun factories do not make all the lines all the time, they simply are not big enough. So they will tool up for the Model X, turn out however many they think will be needed until the next cycle, then break the line down and tool up for the Model Y and so on. If things work right, the stock room will run out of Model X's just as the line begins turning them out again.

But if the cycle is disrupted, say the Model X proves very popular so management decides to extend that model's production time, things can go wrong. Conversely, guns are not like bananas. They don't go bad in storage, so if some Model X's are still in the stockroom when new ones come off the line, the new ones go on top of the pile, and the older ones can remain on the bottom for another cycle or two. The same can happen at the distributors or even at a large store or chain.

That is part of the reason why companies don't like to publish serial number/date of manufacture data. Some folks don't want an "old" gun, even though it is absolutely identical to a "new" gun.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 06:36 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Scott- does your friend know if he's got the old or new grip style on the p250, they had a lot of QC issues at first. They redesigned the gun and the easiest way is by looking at the grip.
See the attached photo.
Thanks! He's on travel right now, but I'll save the link and send it to him when he comes back.

When you talk about "QC" issues, are they anything he can do anything about (like outstanding recalls)? Or should he just keep an eye out for problems in general?
Old February 6, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Grizz12

manufactures sell in bulk to save on shipping costs and distributor buy in bulk for the same reason.

Retailers buy however many they think they can move or they can afford.

I imagine every distributor has empty shelves now because EVERYTHING is selling
Old February 7, 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
jason_iowa

The Scheels near me is closing to move to a new bigger location. Even the guns they had on "sale" were overpriced with used ones being priced as new ones online. They had a very good selection.

I have an uncle who is a very small dealer. Hobby really not his livelihood. He is usually able to get me stuff within 3 or 4 months of a release date. How long they start manufacturing before release varies from company to company and how big the production run is I would guess.

250s are done I believe as well. They were not a good gun and sold even worse. I'm a huge sig fan but I would sell that thing off pronto...
Old February 7, 2013, 11:58 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

It can take years. I've bought new guns that had been discontinued for years.

It probably sits for awhile at the factory and then definitely at the distributor until it's ordered by a retailer. I think that sometimes they get pushed to a back shelf and sit for longer than intended. Then, it can sit at the retailer quite a long time if the retailer guesses incorrectly at demand level or at the saleability of a particular firearm.

They might even get sent back to a distributor if the retailer can't move them.

The SIG P250 is probably an example of a gun that retailers thought would fly off the shelves given their price and unique features. Instead, they haven't proved to be very good sellers in many areas.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:15 AM   #9
DMK

Do dealers ever sell or trade new guns that aren't selling back to the wholesalers to get better selling models?

A model that sells well in one area may collect dust on the shelves in another area.

Quote:
Some folks don't want an "old" gun, even though it is absolutely identical to a "new" gun.
That's just silly. Unless it's been superseded by a newer model, what difference does it make?
Old February 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Some folks don't want an "old" gun, even though it is absolutely identical to a "new" gun.
Quote:
That's just silly. Unless it's been superseded by a newer model, what difference does it make?
Given my choice, I'd rather have the newer gun as well. Even without an official model change, manufacturers have been known to make running design changes over the life of a model.

Now, if I knew for certain that the two guns were identical, then I wouldn't care - the serial number is just a number to me.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:45 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

"... the serial number is just a number to me."

A realistic view, but believe it or not, some buyers demand "the newest."

As for selling "old" guns, there have been many cases of production guns that were made obsolescent by newer models and have remained, as complete guns or unfinished parts for years, finally selling decades after having been technically discontinued.

Jim
Old February 9, 2013, 09:31 AM   #12
geetarman

Considering the wait time, I am thinking the Springfield loaded M1911-A1 that I have on order is being hand hewn out of solid stainless steel by imported workers from the Black Forest and being transported by 35 oiled virgin slave girls to my FFL dealer where it will be reverently placed on a Royal Purple pillow for my examination.

I am thinking my son may be the first to fondle it ( The gun )

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 9, 2013, 10:32 AM   #13
carguychris

FWIW my S&W M&P9 has a shipping date on the box end label that is only 10 days prior to the day I bought it. However, it's a Cabela's distributor exclusive- the Range & Carry Kit with the FDE frame. Since Cabela's is both the retailer AND the distributor, AND the pistol was a locally advertised sale item, I suspect that my experience is the exception rather than the rule!

BTW this was in early 2010, when pistol sales had been a bit soft for several months. How times have changed...
Old February 9, 2013, 11:58 AM   #14
kahrguy

May wifes m&p9c came from s&w to the wholsaler then to our lgs to my wifes hands in a weeks and 4 days. Can't get much more quicker. Mine was the complete opposite of that.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:07 PM   #15
KyJim

I purchased a new Dan Wesson 10mm PM7 from my dealer two years after they were discontinued. The dealer had stocked up on them when DW announced they were discontinuing the model. I think I got the last one from the LGS.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:41 AM   #16
car

It can take years, or just a matter of days depending on how much demad there is for a certain model and how good the manufacturer and distributor is at first in, first out inventory control.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:21 PM   #17
TxFlyFish

Glock is about 2 months currently based on my box and you know they sell out as soon as they hit the shelves
Old February 16, 2013, 10:26 PM   #18
Arkhog

Two old "new" guns

Two weeks ago I bought a new (at least it was sold to me as new) Smith and Wesson Model 640-3 revolver. The dealer had a store in a small town nearby although he sells at every show in the area.

I could tell that this gun was shop worn. It still had the zip tie on it from the last show. He was in a good mood and gave me a good OTD price and I bought it with the box and papers including the warranty card.

When I got home I noticed that the box contained the fired case that some states require. It was dated April 2010. That is 2 years and 10 months.

I called the guy and asked for an explanation. He said that he bought several of this model and stashed them in his safe. Mine was the last one on the bottom. I don't know that I believe him. I did, however, get the model that I wanted at a fair price.

I also once bought a Sig P226 SSE from a dealer at a show. It was sold to me as new. It was fired 2 and a half years from my purchase date.