The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

When You Store Ammo In Metal Ammo Boxes Do You....

I have to admit that over the years I have had a really hap-hazard way of storing ammo, both factory and my reloads. Sometimes in plastic bins, coffee cans, zip lock bags etc. Recently I purchased a case of 50mm metal ammo storage boxes and will this week coordinate all my cailbers and sort into the different metal ammo boxes. How do you store the individual factory loaded rounds? Do you leave them in the cardboard boxes or coordinate into larger containers in the metal ammo boxes or even mass dump rounds into the storage boxes?
Old November 18, 2012, 09:07 PM   #2
alex0535

I just keep factory ammo in its box. They don't take up much more space in the box than out of it. The box has the bullet type and weight on it, they are kept from contacting each other while being situated orderly.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
lamarw

I store pistol and rifle munitions in plastic ammo boxes (50 rd. count for pistol & 20 rd. for rifle). These are then packed in metal military surplus ammo cans (my preference is .50 cal). The military ammo cans are separated and labeled by ammo caliber.

I have yet to develop a logical approach to shotgun reloads. Therefore, they are all in 25 rd. factory cardboard packaging.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Yung.gunr

I keep all mine in the factory boxes.

The one thing I do that is different then most is I put a little of every caliber in each can. That way if something happens and I want to go quickly I can grab just one can and have a little of everything in it. Or you could just have one can like that and the rest of the cans one caliber per can. Just an idea...
Old November 19, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
chiefr

Place my reloaded ammo in plastic or factory boxes. Some of my ammo does end up in ammo cans. One of my aquaintances thought storing ammo in ammo cans was a bad idea. When I asked why; he offered no response. As a vet, I reminded him ammo cans have been used for ammo storage for well over 100 years.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Amsdorf

I open up the boxes, dump all the cartridges in a 50 cal can and throw a couple of these in.

They are "rechargeable" so to speak.

I make sure the rubber gasket on the can has a light coat of lube to prevent it from drying out.

Seems to work just fine.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:42 PM   #7
ltc444

Store in factory boxes or plastic cases. Long term storage I use ammo cans. Also store reloading supply's in wooden 2.75 inch rocket box. Case lots also go into the Rocket boxes.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:18 AM   #8
Metal god

Quote:
I put a little of every caliber in each can. That way if something happens and I want to go quickly I can grab just one can and have a little of everything in it
I like this idea for one can I'll call it my bugout can

I keep each caliber seperate in ammo cans with anti moister packet inside . I also keep them in the factory boxes unless there the kinda were the box is way to big . I can't remember which one but I've had some 308 stuff that the box was huge . I take those out to save room .

I did have some what the same quetion about storing ammo in cardboard boxes . The cardboard can attract and hold moister yes? I have considered putting all the ammo into zip lock bags then ammo can for the stuff I store long term 5+ years at a time . I see guys do this then put a small piece of the box that says what it is in the bag .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 20, 2012, 05:35 AM   #9
Master Blaster 2

Walmart has plastic ammo boxes that seal up tight for only $10. I found the best value. Leave it in the boxes and put it in.
Storage has a lot to do to where they are stored. Keep temp consist and and dry. Import stuff comes in sealed cans if you want to stock up.
I am old and still have ammo I bought 40 years ago that work fine. Got some WW2 ammo that still work great too.
Old November 20, 2012, 12:28 PM   #10
Metal god

Quote:
I am old and still have ammo I bought 40 years ago that work fine. Got some WW2 ammo that still work great too.
I've been wondering how long you can store ammo in the right conditions .I have some stuff thats 17 or 18 years old that works just fine as well . I have heard the gun powder does degrade over time even in the best of conditions . I don't think I'll go over the 20 year mark before I recycle old for new .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 20, 2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Master Blaster 2

Why are you bugging out? LOL Silly. $10 plastic boxes at walmart are the bees knee.

Last edited by Master Blaster 2; November 21, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old November 20, 2012, 11:44 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
How do you store the individual factory loaded rounds? Do you leave them in the cardboard boxes or coordinate into larger containers in the metal ammo boxes or even mass dump rounds into the storage boxes?
Simple answer: yes

I do a bit of all three, but with factory ammo, I mostly leave it in the boxes it comes in, and put them in an ammo can. My reloads are either boxed (plastic) or loose, in their cans.

I used to use the 2.75" rocket crates for mass storage of boxed ammo, but unfortunately learned that when half full of 44Mag and half of 22LR, lifting one throws my back out, and it takes months or more to come back...

So, I have made an effort to standaize on USGI .50cal ammo cans. Even packed completely full of ammo, I can still lift or carry one without injury.

The .30 cal cans are very nice, and a have a few, but decided to go with the .50 cans for the most storage and versatility. Not quite as easily portable, but most useful for me.

Modern smokeless powder will degrade with time (even when properly stored), but it takes close to a century or so, if the powder was properly made. Note that ammo produced under wartime conditions wasn't expected to need a long shelf life before being used, so it may degrade sooner.

Militaries excess and dispose of their unused ammo after set time periods, because they can, and consider its cost as part of doing business. I'm kind of cheap, so I keep mine until use, or some obvious sign of degradation.

Have handloads decades old, and still fine when used. Have GI ammo pushing the half century mark, and have faith in it still. And I have fired ammo from WW I era which all worked.

TO counter this, I have a stripper clip of 6.5X55mm Swede headstamp 1897, which has cracked brass and degraded powder. Have had a lot of WW II ammo not fire (examples from all nations)

I've been storing ammo in GI cans for decades (after all, its what they were made for), there is nothing better. Cans in good condition (seals, etc) can stand submersion for a while (depth will change the amount of time) without leaking. In a fire, the sturdy can usually contains the fragments from the detonating ammo, they have ruggedly sturdy latches, a convenient handle, and gosh, they just look so good.....what's not to like?

And since I live in a low humidity area, dessicant, while always a good idea, hasn't proven necessary for my home storage ammo, for a long, long time. Now, if I "can" some ammo on the coast, dessicant goes in, automatically.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:58 AM   #13
22-rimfire

Quote:
Militaries excess and dispose of their unused ammo after set time periods, because they can, and consider its cost as part of doing business.
If lives depend on the ammunition being "good", get rid of the old stuff if it is within your means. For the government, it is clearly within their means.

I store in different kinds of containers. But I mostly use US Army metal ammunition cans, and plastic ones with seals. For the most part, I label the cans by caliber. The ammunition gets stored inside it's original box. Any reloads are placed in plastic boxes with load info written on them as well as the number of times the brass has been reloaded. Even then, I try not to mix ammunition of different ages even if it is the same load.

I do not like to dump any kind of ammunition (including 22LR) into loose containers unless it was purchased that way. In which case, it still stays in the "factory" containers.

I try to record the Month/Year purchased on the box.

Added: When I first started out, I had two 50 cal ammo cans for storage... 22LR and "other". Times have changed. I never stored shotgun shells in metal ammo cans. I have a large wood military box for that.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; November 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:51 PM   #14
Master Blaster 2

Walmart has plastic ammo boxes that seal up tight for only $10. I found the best value. Leave it in the boxes and put it in.
Storage has a lot to do to where they are stored. Keep temp consist and and dry. Import stuff comes in sealed cans if you want to stock up.