The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 16, 2012, 10:15 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
While this may be true in some instances, in my experience simunitions are used at places with larger training budgets and airsoft is used at places with smaller training budgets.
Right, from what I can determine you rarely hear about elite warriors (the higher levels of training) using airsoft as a training tool and you rarely see citizen self-defense classes using simunitions. At the higher levels, there's typically a lot more funding available and more justification to use more realistic (and more expensive) simulation equipment. Not so much at the level of a typical 3 or 4 day civilian class--even those that are billed as "advanced".
Old July 17, 2012, 12:50 AM   #27
Chowder

Quote:
Which airsoft pistol are you using, chowder? With all the KWA guns I've handled, their triggers have been quite smooth. Maybe a little tough at the end of the pull, but smooth.
I'm not sure of the brand, it was 19.99 impulse buy when picking up targets and sportsmans warehouse lol. It is a spring fired "colt double eagle" and you have to rack the slide each time to fire. It has been more fun than I thought though so I am thinking of picking up a nicer CO2 powered airsoft gun. The target it came with is a sticky gel so the pellets stick for a moment then slide off into a trap, was suprised it actually worked.
Old July 17, 2012, 07:48 AM   #28
LOLERCOASTER

Oh. I can tell you now, the CO2 ones have a very hard trigger pull. You see, when you pull the trigger on a CO2, you're chambering the BB AND releasing the gas. If you want a nice one, WE has GBB's (Gas blowback, runs on propane) for about $100.
Old July 17, 2012, 11:20 AM   #29
AmericanWolverine

STAY FAR AWAY THE WEs. I'm still finding pieces of the barrel bushing in my living room from the one WE I had, That was 3 years ago. If you can't afford a KWA then at least take a hard look at what KJW offers.
Old July 17, 2012, 12:14 PM   #30
MCab

I've got a propane-powered airsoft replica of my S&W sigma. I bought it for the sake of training. I wouldn't want do force-on-force or games unless my opponents had several layers on, this pistol rips through soda cans from 10-15ft away!

It's about as heavy, the slide is looser, and the trigger is so much better.

I use it for trigger-squeeze, drawing, and magazine change drills.
Old July 17, 2012, 12:26 PM   #31
Chowder

I will have to look into these propane powered guns more. I never really gave airsoft much thought until i bought that 20 dollar one. Winters get a we bit chilly up here and it would be nice for some garage practice.
Old July 17, 2012, 12:30 PM   #32
MCab

Mine is quite true to the sights up to about 10-15 yards.
Old July 17, 2012, 08:59 PM   #33
LOLERCOASTER

Quote:
STAY FAR AWAY THE WEs.
Yes, being a Chinese brand their QC is quite hit-and-miss.

If you're a good shopper you can find KWA's fore under or near $100. I know a bought a KP8 (USP .45) for $50, 100% working condition, too.

Quote:
I wouldn't want do force-on-force or games unless my opponents had several layers on, this pistol rips through soda cans from 10-15ft away!
That's why we normally use the "bang" kill rule. If someone is within, say, 20 feet, you'd point your weapon at them and yell "bang" instead of giving them a nasty bruise. Also, just because it goes through a pop can doesn't mean it's dangerous. I've been shot by airsoft's equivalent of sniper rifles (around 500 FPS usually), and have escaped with only a small bruise while wearing a BDU.

Last edited by LOLERCOASTER; July 17, 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Grammar Issues
Old July 17, 2012, 10:39 PM   #34
AmericanWolverine

WEs aren't Chinese, they're Taiwanese.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

We did an interesting exercise once with airsoft guns. The shooter stood in the middle of 4 BGs. You closed your eyes and had to open them to find your opponent and shoot him as fast as you could. Not realistic but fun.

We found that all of us had airsoft hits around the belly button, and they stung. I once got hosed at close range with a full auto airsoft gun and it broke the skin (quite a few times) through a t-shirt.

The belly button hits demonstrated that even with practiced shooters, we fired before we had the sights on COM or mashed the trigger under time and stress. Fun to see big strong guys go Ouch during navel warfare.
Old July 24, 2012, 11:07 PM   #36
jackpine

airsoft gaming is not in any way training but using airsoft gear to enhance training is very valid.