The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Houndog

Mossberg 590 Misfeeds

Need some help guys. Purchased a Mossberg 590 and have been experiencing feeding problems. At first I thought I might be short stroking when I worked the pump action. However, took it out again today, and had about 3 mis-feeds in 15 rounds.

One of two things happens. On one occasion ejected old round and before the new round could feed, it fell out of the gun. Second time, the round simply wouldn't feed into the chamber.

I shoot left handed, so I'm not sure if that's a factor. The fact that one round fell out, rather than feeding leads me to believe that I may be tilting the gun slightly to the right when I work the pump. I've also thought that maybe I'm just not working the pump action correctly. Do you pause between the ejection phase when you're pulling back and the feeding phase when your chambering the next round, or is it one continuous motion?

Of course, it could also be somethings a little out of alignment with the pump action itself, but before I start blaming the gun I want to make sure that it's not the nut behind the trigger that's at fault.
Old February 28, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
parkerppaul

Short Shucking?

Don't know if this is what you are experiencing but check out Hickok45's review of the 590A1. I watched the entire video (as I have with many of his), but about 8:30 into the video he's demonstrating and discussing the pump-action on the 590A1.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by parkerppaul; February 28, 2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old February 28, 2011, 12:55 AM   #3
dawico

Did you try different ammo? I have a pump that doesn't like the cheap Federal rounds from WallyWorld. I guess the rim of the case is just a little different than normal, and the gun just can't deal with it. Other guns I have shoot them just fine.
Old February 28, 2011, 01:04 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I know it sounds silly but we gotta rule it out... You are keeping the gun oriented straight regarding the leaning of the ejection port etc?

Brent
Old February 28, 2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Houndog

Hogdog - not a silly question at all. I thought I might have done this with the one round that actually fell out of the gun, rather than chamber. But I'm pretty confident that I'm not doing this on a regular basis.

Dawico - have used a variety of different ammo, so I don't think that's it.

Parkerppaul - Great video. This actually makes me think that it may be the gun, not me. He has the exact same model I do and seems to be cycling the pump the same way I do - although he is clearly a more talented marksman. In fact, I think I've seen videos of this same guy shooting a snub nosed revolver at a gong that's a couple of hundred yards out and hitting it pretty consistently.

I think I'll try taking the gun to the range again in a few days with 20-30 rounds, really concentrate on the operation of the pump and see what happens. Clearly I should not be getting misfeeds every 4-5 rounds, particularly since I got this gun primarily as a reliable HD weapon.
Old February 28, 2011, 10:34 AM   #6
a7mmnut

Most feeding problems in pumps are caused by the lifter mechanism. If you're handy with guns, I'd deburr all the edges, relube, and try again. If that doesn't work, a stouter spring may be in order.

-7-
Old February 28, 2011, 01:20 PM   #7
kx592

After I bought my 590a1 model I read up on it and found that the early models had spring issues causing the problem you seem to have. I was told that if I had a problem with it to get a wolf spring to install. Maybe worth a shot since its cheap and easy to do.
Old February 28, 2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Houndog

KX,

Interesting suggestion. I got mine about a year ago, but have no way of knowing how long it sat on the dealer's shelf. I do recall that when I first started shooting it the internal spring got all buggered up, resulting in absolutely no pressure/tension in the feeding tube. Disassembled the gun and got the spring unkinked, but I'm beginning to think I might have gotten a lemon.
Old February 28, 2011, 04:45 PM   #9
kx592

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...&cID=2&mID=103

9$ why not give it a try, I still have the original and my gun is only a year old, to me at least and have maxed it out a few times trouble free but I like knowing how to fix potential problems which is why I looked into it anyways. Best of luck. If someone installs one please write back results.
Old March 1, 2011, 12:02 AM   #10
jersey_emt

The double-feed / premature feed (next round is dumped out the bottom of the gun) could be an out-of-alignment shell stop. Give this a read: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=185095

Also, don't be timid with the pump. Rack it HARD, you're not going to break anything. As to whether there should be a 'pause', there will of course be a slight pause as you change direction, but when I shoot my Mossberg 500, it's more of a continuous, quick motion. No pause, just pull the slide back hard, and immediately push it forward hard.

I'm left handed and have no issues with my Mossberg 500 if the gun is slightly tilted. Or even heavily tilted. It doesn't matter which way the gun is oriented -- perfectly vertical, completely horizontal with the ejection port up, completely horizontal with the ejection port down, upside-down, or anywhere in between. If I work the pump quickly and firmly enough it will eject and feed regardless of orientation. It is of course a bit difficult to pump quickly enough to feed properly when the ejection port is facing down, but it is possible.

If tinkering with the shell stop or more practice doesn't eliminate the problem, the magazine spring could definitely be contributing. Especially since you mentioned you had a problem with the mag spring. Sure, you can order new parts, but remember that Mossberg has excellent customer service. Your gun is only a year old, they will definitely fix it under warranty. I'm not sure if they cover shipping both ways, but seeing as this is a HD gun, the extra few bucks to ship it rather than fiddle with it yourself is worth the peace of mind of knowing that the gun is functioning properly.

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:00 AM   #11
jersey_emt

Any updates on how your Mossberg is working?

Please check out WhichGun.com, a firearms reference and buying guide.
Old March 15, 2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Houndog

Thanks for all the suggestions. Took it to the range again and have concluded that it definitely isn't me. Rather than trying to troubleshoot the problem myself, and potentially make things worse, I've decided to send it back to Mossberg since it's still under warranty.

E-mailed customer service about a week ago. It took a few days, but they finally got back to me with instructions on how to ship it back to them. I thought it interesting that instructions say about six times and in bold type to be sure the gun is unloaded before sending it back. I guess they've gotten a number of returns back where the gun was fully loaded with one in the chamber.