The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 2000, 08:46 AM   #1
Larz

My dad picked up a FEG Hi-Power. Nice little gun but really CRAPPY trigger. It is all because of the stupid magazine safety. The little boot that pushes against the mag to check if the mag is their is really making the trigger feel like crap because is is pushing against the mag. Is there any way I can fix this. I like the gun but the trigger is just unacceptable. I don't want to put much money into fixing the trigger because the gun is only worth a couple hundred in the first place. Please Help!
Old August 18, 2000, 09:01 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larz:
My dad picked up a FEG Hi-Power. Nice little gun but really CRAPPY trigger. It is all because of the stupid magazine safety. The little boot that pushes against the mag to check if the mag is their is really making the trigger feel like crap because is is pushing against the mag. Is there any way I can fix this. I like the gun but the trigger is just unacceptable. I don't want to put much money into fixing the trigger because the gun is only worth a couple hundred in the first place. Please Help![/quote]

Go to http://www.fnhipower.com/

In the FAQ are instructions on how to remove/deactivate the magazine safety.
Old August 18, 2000, 09:11 AM   #3
Larz

Thanks Bart. Just what I was looking for.
Old August 18, 2000, 01:43 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Lars,

I have one of these guns as well. I never shoot it because, as you said, it's got a crappy trigger.

Can you let us know how much difference you notice after mag safety removal? Thanks, I'm considering selling the gun.

Ledbetter
Old August 18, 2000, 06:51 PM   #5
beemerb

I cleaned up the trigger on one for a friend of mine yrs ago.I did the polish on the mag and on the mag safty system that rode on the mag.It ended up much better then what it was but to me not right.I decided the only way to get it right was to pin the mag saftey to the fire position.He wanted to keep the mag saftey so I never got a chance to try my idea out.Take a close look and see is you agree with my reasoning in this.
Old August 18, 2000, 06:54 PM   #6
beemerb

double post

[This message has been edited by beemerb (edited August 18, 2000).]
Old August 18, 2000, 11:47 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

For obvious reasons, I never recommend removal or deactivation of any safety device. It is possible to put a pretty good trigger on that FEG (and the High Power) by a little polishing of the safety and the spring. You can polish the mag safety with some emery cloth by reaching into the mag well without disassembling anything. Even just polishing the front of the magazine will often help a lot, especially with a Parkerized magazine.

Jim
Old August 19, 2000, 07:44 AM   #8
old hawk

if you take the mag saftey out and use it in self defense its a major point for the opposing lawyer to screw you with,polish the saftey bars and mags in the area it hits with a dremel and fine jewelers rouge,hone the trigger\sear but dont change the angles on the face,this will help make it smoother,also use a bit of teflon oil on the parts as well.it will help reduce the yukky feel dramatically.
Old August 19, 2000, 07:45 AM   #9
old hawk

if you take the mag saftey out and use it in self defense its a major point for the opposing lawyer to screw you with,polish the saftey bars and mags in the area it hits with a dremel and fine jewelers rouge,hone the trigger\sear but dont change the angles on the face,this will help make it smoother,also use a bit of teflon oil on the parts as well.it will help reduce the yukky feel dramatically.
Old August 19, 2000, 09:24 PM   #10
BBBBill

As this gun is a Hi Power clone, anyone who can work on a Hi Power can tune this one. A great trigger can be had by carefull fitting of hammer/sear and polishing of the mag safety and mag body where it rides. I can get 4 1/2 to 5 pounds, crisp with no problem. No need to deactivate.
Old August 19, 2000, 10:32 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Browning HPs "up the street, around the corner, and down the road" trigger/sear action does not lend itself easily to making a fine trigger pull, though the Canadian gunsmiths do a very good job. BBBill is right. You can get a pretty good pull (4 pounds or so) without deactivating anything.

Jim
Old August 21, 2000, 09:15 AM   #12
Larz

Well I took the safety out. It dramatically improved the trigger. I have never been a fan of a mag safety anyway. I hate having to insert a mag every time I work the action to let the hammer down. Anyway I am happy with the results. Although it was sort of a pain in the butt putting the trigger group back in. Now all I have to work on is a problem with the hammer going into half cock sometimes after firing. So we'll be plinking along and sometimes after we fire the hammer will drop into half cock which is really annoying. It may have to do with shooting a little hotter loads. I haven't had it happen with my PMP yet but Blazer does it about every 5 shoots. Thanks for the input, Larz
Old August 21, 2000, 11:30 AM   #13
cuerno de chivo

I'd like to see some actual facts about mag safety removal leading to problems in civil or criminal court.