The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2014, 07:08 PM   #1
fshfindr

I Can't Believe I Did it.

I can't believe I did it. My mold was a little sticky and the boolets just would not drop. So with a needle nose pliers I started tapping them out. Actually, tapping would have been OK but I started scraping them out. So now I have a mold that is deeply scored. Yeh, I know I wasn't supposed to scrape the mold, just the boolets. But that dang pliers just went ahead and did. Now the boolets come out with a small edge that has to be filed down before they will fit into the expanded case. Do I need a new mold or is there some way to fix it?
Old July 8, 2014, 07:16 PM   #2
hartcreek

You put a scratch in the mould....

If you put a deep scratch in the mold with pliers the best that you could do is only use one cavity the worst is convert it to make fishing weights. If you need to do the fishing weight conversion you can PM me and I can walk you through it as I had to do that with one .440 RB mold that I wore out....
Old July 8, 2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Sport45

Did you scratch the bullet mold, or the block beside it? If it's the flat part of the block the scratch may not be the problem. It might be the metal displaced up beside the scratch is keeping the block from closing.

If that's the case you may be able to hone them flat. I'm just guessing here as I don't have any experience with molds.
Old July 9, 2014, 11:29 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

If you scratched the mold cavity, its toast. The only thing that could be done is to have the cavity polished, until the scratch is gone, and then it will cast larger diameter bullets (how much depends on how much metal had to be removed).

I know its after the fact, but you should never touch the mold blocks with anything METAL. Wood is best. A hard wood stick, and a couple of raps on the handle hinge pin is usually enough to dump sticky bullets from the mold.

Use the stick on the sprue cutter plate, too, and be careful of the angle, to prevent it the plate being bent.

Good Luck.
Old July 9, 2014, 12:05 PM   #5
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by 44 AMP: If you scratched the mold cavity, its toast.

^^^yep pretty much.
Old July 9, 2014, 12:46 PM   #6
fshfindr

Thanks guys. it is what I thought. I just ordered a new one from Midway.