The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 27, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Pathfinder45

Marlin Kaboom, sort of.

On Sunday I was testing some high-pressure 300 grain loads in my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy. I wore safety glasses because I was a bit apprehensive since these were definately +P loads from Linebaugh country. I guess I needn't have worried as they all went off just fine. But I finished of with 35 grains of fffg black powder under 255 grain hand-cast bullets in some older Western balloon-head cases that I picked up at the gun show just for BP loads in my stainless Vaquero. However those old Ballon-head cases were just barely too fat to go all the way into my Vaquero's tight chambers. Well the Marlin has bigger chambers but I was concerned that the lack of an extractor groove on those old cases might be a problem. So I cycled one round through and no problem. Time to shoot 'em.....I went though a full magazine and was positively impressed by the power......nothing wimpy about it. It was fun! My buddy cranked off several rounds. Then I loaded up the last set. By this time my safety glasses are off. On the twenty first round, the case head blew and gases and debris blew into my face and right eye. I wasn't hurt at all, I just got an eye full of crud. Fortunately I was totally OK and we learned a good lesson. The case head came completely off and the rest of the case was solidly stuck in the chamber. I got it out yesterday and the rifle has cleaned up better than new. No harm done; all's well that ends well. Cleaning the rifle was a pretty big deal. I don't plan on using any more BP in it. The Vaquero, yes; The Marlin isn't stainless. But now a question about glasses: Sunglasses and safety glasses generally don't fit just right for rifle shooting for me; do any of y'all have shooting glasses that you particularly like that you could recommend? I know some guns handle case-failure gases a lot more safely than others but it's a good idea to make a habit of wearing glasses for all. As far as the balloon-head cases go, they will not be used in the Marlin again. The ones that don't fit the Vaquero are done and I may phase them out entirely when the experiment is over. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old April 28, 2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Noz

Yup, There's reason that those cases were phased out.

I like these glasses. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas1.html
Old April 29, 2010, 12:49 AM   #3
arcticap

I'm glad that your eyes are okay.
These clear S&W's are my new favorite shooting glasses since I bought a pair a few months ago. They leave enough room for ventilation so that they won't fog up. They also have ultra clear lenses, adjustable temples and they provide great coverage which doesn't interfere with my field of vision or shooting at all. I've gone through a lot of pairs of glasses too and luckily I was able to try these on at the store to discover just how well they did fit me.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagpl.html

And they also come in a whole bunch of colors that I didn't even know about before:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagsa.html

Here's some 5 star user reviews listed under the different lens types:

Quote:
GREAT BUY
Reviewer:
Heath ILLINOIS
been wearing these for years at work and at home, you can't beat them

Great design
Reviewer:
Leevon
If you are outdoors or driving all day these are perfect. Great frame/lens design- no distortion and great peripheral protection as well as great field of view due to high side frame location. Very comfortable for hours at a time. You forget that you have them on.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smwemablfrgo.html

Best Glasses on the Market
Reviewer:
Bill Givans
I have gone through nine pairs of these glasses and have yet to find a better fitting pair of glasses. The best part is the tint to the blue bolck lens, they pull out every detail for a 3D type image, including the colors. I use them everywhere i go, water skiing, boating, riding motorcycle, hunting, and most of all driving. My next purchase will be a box of 12.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagco.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110568a33%.JPG (65.2 KB, 248 views)

Last edited by arcticap; April 29, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old April 29, 2010, 03:27 PM   #4
grymster2007

Why were you safety glasses off? I just don't pull the trigger unless mine are on.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

Why were you safety glasses off?

Thank you for the question grymster2007. Any answer that I could give would be deficient. But your question is well taken. It's less important that I answer that question than that I continue ask myself that question in the future. The glasses that I have, while adequate as generic safety and/or sunglasses, leave some things to be desired as shooting glasses. I also asked about shooting glasses in the, "Gear and accessories", section. Thanks to all for your recommendations.
Old May 2, 2010, 06:37 AM   #6
grymster2007

I learned the hard way.... and it took two incidents for my numb skull to get it. I've never really suffered and eye injury while shooting, but I have while machining. I once caught a small piece of cast iron in one eye and when the doctor removed the rusty little bugger with a hypodermic needle, I wasn't having any fun. Also had a large, hot, aluminum chip bounce off one eye. Burned it pretty good and the pain lasted for several weeks.

I wear safety glasses for many activities now.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:01 AM   #7
andrewstorm

flirtin with disaster

Yall dam sure know what i mean,polycarbonate, kevlar for the eyes,id bet brewster cogburn wished hed had em!