The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2011, 08:14 AM   #1
OleEd

9MM Lead TCN Bullet Question

I recently received some 9mm LTCN bullets and have no idea as to an OAL for the bullet. I have only a Speer Manual which seems lacking in lead loading data. I am asking for some suggestions: 1) for a "suggested" OAL (if a better way than my method used below is wrong) and 2) another manual to buy that is more cast bullet user friendly than Speer. Thanks

I have loaded some rounds using the Wilson 9mm handload gauge and final checking in my Ruger SR9 chamber. The OAL I came up with is 1.999 as 1st rd that best seated & slid out easily from the chamber - working downward on the OALs starting at 1.250.

I am shooting Win 231 at 3.9 (low end for a 124g LRN bullet from Speer) & after reading other articles to start at the low end and work up. Too, I load for my SIL who prefers Win over my favorite Bullseye and uses a Beretta 92.

I start low in loads and work up to what I think is a best load too. I reload and shoot for fun plus I am 69 so just consistently hitting the the 9 & 10 rings at 15 yds is a "HOOAH" in my book.....
Old March 27, 2011, 09:44 AM   #2
floydster

Ole, I load the Lee 124 gr. for my CZ,( which has a very short leade) to OAL at 1.048 which just clears the rifling and a good load for me is 3.3 grs. Bullseye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee 124 gr. TC 001.jpg (243.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Lee 124 gr. TC 002.jpg (229.4 KB, 26 views)
Old March 27, 2011, 09:48 AM   #3
reloader28

The cone nose bullets I've used all had to be seated basically at the start of the taper.
Just adjust your die till its seated just shy of that and see if it will chamber in your gun.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Ken - Oh

The Lyman reloading manual generally has the best coverage for cast bullets.

When using different bullet shapes, you need to adjust the charge for where the base of the bullet is located. Round nose and TC bullets have different bullet heights and therefore the cartridge space below the bullet is different and that affects the pressure.

Ken
"The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County [Cincinnati] Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
Old March 27, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I run 122-125 LTCs at 1.090". Seat to a cannelure, lube groove, or crimp groove, and go from there. I've had the best luck with 1.130"-1.090" OALs, but have gone to only the 1.090" now (for several different bullets).