The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2010, 12:23 PM   #26
270winforlife

I agree that a backup is a good idea when going out of state. However....guides will usually have a backup for you (call them and check). I would use your 30-06 as primary---excellent choice, but borrow another rifle from a friend/family member for a backup. When spending money for an elk hunt, don't take chances, bring a rifle with some knockdown. I use a 338 win mag, but would recommend a 270 or bigger as a backup gun. Muzzeloader and shotgun's will work up close, but why use them if you don't have to? Unless you want to for the sport of it? Thats fine too.
Old February 14, 2010, 03:15 PM   #27
elkman06

Quote:
Moldy water.
Nah, that's after it hits Utah...LOL
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old February 14, 2010, 08:16 PM   #28
grubbylabs

Thanks for skipping Idaho elkman06, Most of us have pretty good water except for poky, I tried to filter water up in the hills and it was even nasty up there.
Old February 14, 2010, 08:59 PM   #29
elkman06

Grubby, I work for a company that just got done w/ a major enviro clean up effort up your way a couple years back....I don't envy you guys.

Quote:
It seems... the solutions to the problem are:
1. Take a spare rifle.
2. Don't take horses.
I'll agree w/ Franken here, especially the overgrown, 1000lb dog part.

elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old February 15, 2010, 02:06 AM   #30
bcarver

broke firing pin

I have shot/owned guns for over 30 years(close to 100 guns over that time).
I have had exactly one broke firing pin. (Remington 870).
It was broke when I bought it and found when cleaned(never had a miss fire).
I replaced it and it never broke again.
If the firing pin works on the last trip to the range and breaks before I kill my quarry I will go to town and buy a lottery ticket.
I would fire two or three rounds at most to test scope at hunting location.
It would have to break on first or second shot to be discovered.
I am not gonna carry 9 lbs of gear to prevent that chance.

Every missed game I have ever heard of personally due to equipment error has been scope related. Usually due to vibration damage on four wheeler or from a drop, cheap scopes or loose screws.
Old February 15, 2010, 02:55 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I am not gonna carry 9 lbs of gear to prevent that chance.
I'm with you. I won't carry an extra 9 lbs of gear, either. It stays in the truck... unless I need it.
Old February 15, 2010, 08:29 AM   #32
freedom475

Are you taking horses??

By all means take both rifles that you mentioned.

I have hunted and guided for elk most of my life and have been in on over 100 elk kills. Very few have been inside of 200yrds during rifle season. (a couple at 7yrds during archery)

The mature bulls are WAY bigger than the cows but they are not bullet proof. (well some seem to be a little resistant.) I killed a cow at 6o yrds with a 22 LR pistol..Two shots to the ribs and she troted off for about 40 yrds and fell over.

Your 250 TC will work great! I've seen the comercial where they are smakin' the 6" plate at 250yrds with that thing... It is nothing that should be allowed in any "Primative" season anywhere...but it is dam sure a Fine weapon.

In you '06 you should shoot either the 165 (to extend your range a little) or the 180.. Either one you choose, make sure you go shoot it at really long ranges just so you "have" an idea of what you and your gun can do.

When your giude asked "Can you hit him that far??" you will be able to say "Sure, I have been shooting the 450yrd plate for six months" or "No way, I have been shooting at the 450plate for six months and still can't hit it".LOL

A wounded animal should be shot at at "ANY" distance if he can still be seen and for as long as it can be seen.. yes I have seen the "Hail Merry's" bring down wounded elk at way over 1000yrds...just walk em in there.

Take pletty of ammo!! Guys always seem to run out if things get exciting.. A wounded bull will often "LEAVE" the country..(and I am not talking a mile or two) I mean Leave... Shoot them until they are down!

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."