The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 24, 2015, 12:27 PM   #26
Caliper

Turkey neck and cheek weld, then set the scope distance.

You want to stretch your neck forward (not unnaturally stretched, but definitely not slack) when you get your cheek weld so that your neck follows your shoulders back during recoil, preventing scope-eye. Remember, your head weighs about 10#, so if there is any slack in your neck, your head is going to move toward the scope when the rifle recoils. This also gives the best repeatability in eye position.

I usually set eye relief in prone which is a good compromise between seated (head furthest forward) and standing (head furthest rearward). One rifle that I shoot off a bipod has the scope further back because I'm always squared off to the stock with that one instead of indexed like with my other rifles.
Old July 24, 2015, 04:05 PM   #27
Boncrayon

How far back do you mount your scopes?

So as not to cut your eyebrow with the rear of the scope considering the recoil of your caliber.
Old July 27, 2015, 04:42 AM   #28
brewman

Update: Got out to zero in recently and I'm pretty happy with the positioning, shot nicely and did not feel like the scope would kiss my eyebrow, so all good, the shut your eyes and get comfy, then move scope to suit process works a treat.

Quote:
But I did not put the big dent on the roof from the muzzle blast - he did that all by himself
Hey never thought of that, how big a dent can a muzzle blast do? I'd love to see some pics!

Cheers all.