The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 20, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
AKsRul.e

Times are Tough - Bargain Guns ?

I'm starting to see more and more for sale ads for used
guns - online, in local shopping papers, and on bulletin boards
in public places.

Of course the economy is still crappy ( Dec. layoffs ? )
and Christmas looms.

Anyone else notice or already get a bargain ?
Old October 20, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
wilson133

I see a lot more guns for sale on the local internet gun board, but the prices are ridiculous. Guns being offered for far more than any reasonable value. I'm talking about used guns for more that certain LGSs sell them for new.
There is a big box chain that has been selling the Savage Axis for $279-$289 off and on for the last couple of months and somebody today has one used for $300. The gun store who's range I frequent was selling the Ruger American for $349 and somebody has one as new in the box" for $375.
Now I know some people go to Gander Mountain or Bass Pro and pay whatever without shopping but used guns are generally worth less than when they were new.
Most of the guns don't seem to move and just keep getting bumped back to the top of the list.
Old October 20, 2012, 04:34 PM   #3
jasmith85

Quote:
I see a lot more guns for sale on the local internet gun board, but the prices are ridiculous. Guns being offered for far more than any reasonable value. I'm talking about used guns for more that certain LGSs sell them for new.
There is a big box chain that has been selling the Savage Axis for $279-$289 off and on for the last couple of months and somebody today has one used for $300. The gun store who's range I frequent was selling the Ruger American for $349 and somebody has one as new in the box" for $375.
Now I know some people go to Gander Mountain or Bass Pro and pay whatever without shopping but used guns are generally worth less than when they were new.
Most of the guns don't seem to move and just keep getting bumped back to the top of the list.
I have seen that a lot around here too. I've always wondered if the people paid outrageous prices when they bought new or if they really think they can rip people off like that. There is currently a used Taurus TCP with an asking price of $350 on a local sales site. I emailed the guy and ask how much he gave for it and he hasn't replied back. My guess is there are just a lot of people fishing for idiots.
Old October 20, 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
JC57

Depending on various state laws, private party sales often don't require a background check, any sort of federal form, or even a bill of sale.

There are buyers out there who are quite happy to purchase guns that are totally untraceable to them, so that could explain why there might be people willing to pay higher than retail even for a used gun.

Also, even for just regular old buyers, there's normally no sales tax between individuals. That can chop 8 or 9 percent off of the total cost compared to buying from a dealer who has to charge that.

Those are most likely the reasons that on-line classified ads for firearms seem to often be overpriced.

That and some people think they deserve to get all of their money back out of a purchase and just aren't willing to adjust to the actual market. I guess if they are not highly motivated to sell then they are just waiting on one of those motivated buyers out there who can't or won't buy through normal retail channels.

And on the original topic - I keep looking for bargains but never see anything I'm looking for show up for sale at a price I'm interested in paying. No bargains here.

Last edited by JC57; October 20, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Joe_Pike

There haven't been any bargain guns in my neck of the woods in a long time. I saw a beat to heck snubbie S&W model 15 yesterday for $599. Any pre-lock smith revolver has got a crazy price on it.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:16 PM   #6
p loader

Quote:
Depending on various state laws, private party sales often don't require a background check, any sort of federal form, or even a bill of sale.

There are buyers out there who are quite happy to purchase guns that are totally untraceable to them, so that could explain why there might be people willing to pay higher than retail even for a used gun.
Exactly. I recently paid about $50 more than retail for a pistol, but it was a FTF cash transaction with no bill of sale, don't even know the guys name (met in a parking lot) and he drove an hour to come see me. Much more preferred method of conducting business (and it is legal in my state) versus ordering online, background check, FFL fee (or in state with sales tax).

Of course you could "what if" a purchase like that forever, but that's why each person must make their own decision on what they are comfortable with.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:39 PM   #7
lamarw

This would concern me since you have noway of knowing if the gun was stolen or even used in a shooting crime. You also do not have proof you purchased the weapon.

I would prefer to pay the twenty to forty dollar FFL fee.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
g.willikers

Some states have an easy, online, way to see if a gun is on the stolen property list.
Old October 24, 2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Skans

If you want bargains, don't buy popular guns.

You can find some reasonable deals on PTR-91's and Sig 556's. Also, I've seen Argentinian IMBEL FAL's selling for bargain prices - $700-800 range. I also consider Glock prices quite reasonable. If you like classic and C&R revolvers, you can find some really interesting things at good prices - I'm snapping a few of these up where I can get exactly what I'm looking for. Anything "Colt" is overly expensive, now.

I think that some of the S&W 8-shot (627) .357 revolvers are good deals at about $800+/-; nicely made! I also think Belgian Hi-Powers are undervalued right now.

I'm not going to give away everything I'm currently looking for! But, here's the deal. The Fed (and Europe) is printing money faster than a racehorse on Dianabol and we are losing skilled workers every day. So, high-precision revolvers and other guns are going to jump in value at some time. You've seen what's happened to the Python. It's going to continue to happen to other high-quality firearms too.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:18 PM   #10
wilson133

I live in Michigan and there is no such thing as an undocumented sale of a handgun here. I used to get an occasional deal on a less popular gun, but let me give you some prices from today. Ruger P95 $325, Ruger P94, P97 and P90, all $400 and these are from different sellers. There's a couple of Bersa Thunder .380s for $250 also.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:52 PM   #11
deadcoyote

Due to the bad economy I've actually started using my C&R a lot more. not just on milsurps, now researching good affordable american rifles that qualify and then searching for them online. I picked up a stevens model 325 (bolt action 30-30) with the nice butter knife type bolt for $190 off a Colorado gunowners forum and paid $20 for shipping. It shoots like a dream and is in nice shape, especially considering in is at least 63 years old.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #12
ChasingWhitetail91

Been having ALOT of remington pumps up here, all under 200$.
Old October 24, 2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Master Blaster 2

SCCY 9MM...bargain, incredably reliant small pistol under $250.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
SOUTHERN WOODS

I don't have a lot of cash available for purchasing guns but I sure haven't found any deals here in SC in a good while.