The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 1, 2012, 01:20 AM   #1
ruablond

Better rifle; Rem. 700 Classic or Ruger Hawkeye?

Opinions? I am favoring to find a the Classic in the box, but what about the Ruger?
Old March 1, 2012, 07:37 AM   #2
TX Hunter

I think the Ruger Hawkeye is the better Rifle.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3
MOshooter65202

Both are good rifles from good manufactures,I prefer the Remington 700.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Keg

I prefer the Ruger..controlled rd feed..new light trigger..model 70 type safety....
Old March 1, 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
taylorce1

Both are fine rifles and both have lovers and haters. Remington is the most customizable of the two rifles having more aftermarket parts available. Rugers are heavier but built like a tank, they do control the round as mentioned earlier from the magazine to the chamber and have a simpler trigger, that isn't as adjustable as the Remingtons. I own a lot of rifles most are old military sporters, next is Savage, then Winchester, H&R, Remington, and T/C Encore. I don't have any Rugers, though I wouldn't turn one down if the price is right and I've been looking at their compact models pretty hard in .243 Win or 7mm-08 for my daughter.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:04 AM   #6
homesick

Tough call both are good, I have a couple Ruger Hawkeyes and several 700 Remingtons. If I walked into a gun shop and bought either one I'd be content I was getting a quality product for the $.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:11 AM   #7
PawPaw

Tough call, although they're both fine rifles. I happen to own both a Remington 700 and a Ruger bolt (tang safety Model 77), and I find that they're different as night and day. However, they're both great shooters and welcome additions to my battery. My Model 700 is an older ADL in .308, it weighs in at 8.0 lbs with scope, sling, and four rounds of ammo. My Ruger is in .25-06, made in 1971, and with sling, scope, and four rounds of ammo, weighs 10.0 lbs.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 1, 2012, 09:37 AM   #8
AllenJ

I own a Ruger M77 Mark II and a Remington 700. Both are fine rifles and I honestly can't come up with a reason why I like one more than the other. Both are excellent shooters.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:41 PM   #9
warbirdlover

Quote:
I own a Ruger M77 Mark II and a Remington 700. Both are fine rifles and I honestly can't come up with a reason why I like one more than the other. Both are excellent shooters.
This is me too. Feel the same way also.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Lloyd Smale

i have both and have had a number of both through the years and personaly id take a classic over a ruger of any kind. the hawkeye is finaly a ruger that will compete with one for accuracy but my favorite rifle of all time is probably the rem classic.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
603Country

I've owned both and liked both. As earlier said, the 700 is easier to add bells and whistles to, but adding things really isn't an objective of mine. The first Ruger I was introduced to was an Ultralight in 270 we kids bought for Dad, and I really did like everything about it. It had the look and feel of an old Winchester pre-64 Model 70 that I had at that time. These days I have 4 Rugers and I prefer the Ruger over the Remington - but I wouldn't sell a Remington just to buy a Ruger. Either rifle will do just fine.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:14 PM   #12
jmr40

Lots of internet chatter about poor Remington quality on newer guns. I've not observed any issues personally, but just feel that Ruger is building the better rifle at this time. I actually would buy Winchester or Kimber first if my budget allowed with Ruger being my next option.

Twenty years ago I'd have said Remington and if you were looking at buying 20 year old used guns I still would. It's not that Remingtons are worse, but the others have gotten much better.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:18 PM   #13
garryc

Quote:
Better rifle; Rem. 700 Classic or Ruger Hawkeye?
Got a quarter, flip it and find out.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:28 PM   #14
tulsamal

I don't own a Hawkeye but I was on Bud's the other day and noticed Ruger is making it in 6.5 Creedmore now.... that just might push me over the edge!

Gregg
Old March 12, 2012, 09:41 AM   #15
OsOk-308

I do not have experience with the Ruger, but I recently purchased a Remington 700 in 30-06, and I am not disappointed at all. The 700 has a fantastic trigger and is pretty light. There are more aftermarket parts for the 700, so if you are looking to eventually alter your rifle, then the Remington may be a better choice FOR YOU. I have some experience with other Ruger products, and they are solidly built guns. I would not feel uncomfortable with either. I liked the 700, because it is the best selling bolt rifle out there, and I found one for a great price. Sorry, I'm probably no help. But I can say that if you get a 700, you will not be sorry.
Old March 12, 2012, 07:23 PM   #16
Keg

Quote:
Both are fine rifles and both have lovers and haters. Remington is the most customizable of the two rifles having more aftermarket parts available. Rugers are heavier but built like a tank, they do control the round as mentioned earlier from the magazine to the chamber and have a simpler trigger, that isn't as adjustable as the Remingtons. I own a lot of rifles most are old military sporters, next is Savage, then Winchester, H&R, Remington, and T/C Encore. I don't have any Rugers, though I wouldn't turn one down if the price is right and I've been looking at their compact models pretty hard in .243 Win or 7mm-08 for my daughter.
Taylorce1..I bought my wife one of the Hawkeyes..stainless with the realtree stock in 308....It's actually pretty light..has a soft pad..and very acurate with their new trigger....
Old March 12, 2012, 08:11 PM   #17
243winxb

Remington "Three Rings of Steel"
Old March 13, 2012, 07:20 AM   #18
roc1

I have owned the Ruger Hawkeye and the new Winchester Model 70 and several Remingtons,Savages,and CZ. I still have an old tang safety Ruger in my collection. Here is my take I have three new Remingtons, one did have problems Remington took care of it at all their expense including shipping. I had troubles with Ruger their CS is great as well. I had problems with one Savage same great customer service. In this respect all are equally as good. Accuracy is definetly in favor of Remington or Savage or even the CZ. My old Ruger is a great rifle the Hawkeye not so much the action is rough as a cob went back twice they greatly improved it, but it still was not to my liking ,plus the bolt is way to loose causing it to bind up. My old Ruger is far superior in that respect. The guy from Ruger told me that is the way they are built. Remington and Winchesters are a lot smoother, even the cheap Remingtons. I love Ruger handguns but not so much their newer rifles in centerfire anyway. I would have to say of these choices go Remington for sure better rifles these days.
roc1
Old March 14, 2012, 12:11 AM   #19
BIG P

Not a bad choice there,both are pretty nice So witch one fits you better
or where the better deal is.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:17 AM   #20
FrosSsT

eh just buy both and put your mind at ease. lol
Old March 14, 2012, 01:15 AM   #21
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Ruger
-------Metallica
Old March 14, 2012, 07:53 PM   #22
FairWarning

Can't lose either way.
Old March 14, 2012, 08:06 PM   #23
sir_n0thing

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something about Remington puts me off. I don't own anything made by Remington anymore, and probably never will again purchase a Remington product other than ammo.
Ruger though, I've been pleased with every Ruger I've ever owned.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:57 PM   #24
gunsgongcrazy

I prefer the Rugers myself gosh darnit golly jeapers cheese and rice~!~!
Old March 16, 2012, 09:23 PM   #25
chucknbach

I'd go with the
Remmington. Never had any luck with Rugers in the accuracy department. I'd personally go for a rifle guaranteed to be accurate from the manufacturer. Rugers quality is 2" at 50 yards is good.