The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 16, 2001, 04:33 PM   #1
TVDean

I've got the Handgun (Glock10mm), Shotgun (Mossy590-A1)and Rifle (Bushy Shorty.223).

I have a few handgun matches under my belt, but I've never shot the AR or 12gauge in competition.

1) What size shot is best?
2) What's the best mode of extra shotshell carry for rapid reloads? (The 590 holds 9 shells with 4 in the speedfeed stock)
3) How many AR mags will I need, do I need a mag carrier for the AR mags.
4) Can I use this "mag-cinch" contraption?
Old April 17, 2001, 01:49 PM   #2
NAD

What kind of 3-gun match? Tactical, IPSC, SOF all have different rules on max. capacity, etc. For a IPSC 3 gun match you will need to carry 15-20 shot shells with you in addition to what you have in the tube. There are shell holders you can get to wear on the belt. For rifle, you want a 20 inch barrel for the longer sight radius if you are using iron sights for targets out to 300 yards or so. I would get one or two mag holders for your AR mags as well.
Old April 19, 2001, 10:15 AM   #3
TMC

You can get by with putting you second AR mag in your pocket or that dual mag deal will work as long as the rules allow it. You should need more than two mages but I usually bring 3 just in case. Your shory AR will work fine. Just got back from the 3 Gun Nats. and a fews guys on my squad shot the 300 yard stage with 16" guns and did fine (metal poppers at 300 yards and paper targets at 200). For your shotgun the shotshell carriers that carry six stacked on your belt are fast if you can grab 3 at a time and load them, otherwise the belly band type that carry them just above your belt are good. That way the shells are close to your gun when you grab them one at a time. In USPSA Limited shotguns are limited to 8 rounds in the magazine. For shot most clubs limit you to #4 or smaller shot. I use #6 as it works good on steel and for clay targets that get used. Hope this helps, have fun!
Old April 19, 2001, 01:00 PM   #4
NAD

TMC - I was there too with a 16 inch Rifle, but they threw the 300 yard popper stage out before I got a chance to shoot it. I was looking forward to shooting it just to see if I could hit them. What Squad were you in? I was in 5.
Old April 19, 2001, 01:28 PM   #5
TVDean

Thanks TMC

That gives me something to look for at the gun show this weekend.

Is there a manufacturer that specializes in competition shotshell carry rigs?
Old April 19, 2001, 04:17 PM   #6
NAD

I doubt you will find anything like this at a gun show. I use the Competition Shot Shell Holder made by Choate. I saw lots of them at the 3 Gun Nats this year. You can get them at ...

http://www.choatemachinetool.com
Old April 19, 2001, 07:46 PM   #7
TVDean

Perfect!

Nad, how are the shells removed...from the top,....from the front?

Where do you wear it,..up front, or on the hip?
Old April 20, 2001, 09:36 AM   #8
NAD

I wear 3 of them in the same area I carry my pistol mags for IPSC. Mine are all in front of the hip.

The shell holder attaches to the belt so the shells are horizontal with the opening at the top. Imagine the picture rotated 90 deg CCW. The shells are stripped from the top. I can grab three at a time. I you plan to do lots of running around or going prone it's a good idea to line the interior rails of the holder with the fuzzy side of some velcro. This will really hold the shells in tight.
Old April 24, 2001, 10:45 PM   #9
TVDean

By the way.......

..thanks NAD'ster. I ordered a couple.
Old May 2, 2001, 10:34 PM   #10
TMC

Hey NAD, sorry it took so long to get back. At the 3gun I was in squad 1 so it was our second stage. I shot 5th or 6th on our squad. When I finished the RO said I had the fastest time they had clocked then my buddy shot and was 12 seconds faster and dropped only 1 "C". I was feelin good for about 15 minutes!
Old May 4, 2001, 03:01 PM   #11
jthuang

1. Typically the match director will limit the size of shot based upon the targets involved. For the ones I've shot, the steel knockdown targets limit you to #6 bird or smaller. Anything more causes excessive splashback.

2. Can you get the TacStar speedloaders for your Mossberg? The fastest shotgun reloads I've seen at 3 gun matches are with those speedloaders -- you just latch them onto the bottom of your gun, push the slider and voila you have 5 rounds instantly loaded into your mag tube. I don't know if they make them for the Mossy, but I do know they make ones that fit the Benelli shotgun.

FWIW, I use a Blackhawk 12 shell duty pouch on my belt.

3. I have found that having three 30 round mags is more than enough. The highest min round count stage I've encountered is 48 rounds -- so two 30 round mags would have been fine, with the third as "backup". I use a Blackhawk mag pouch which works well -- but if you really want a nice mag pouch, check out BH's Talon Flex M16 mag pouch. That's really fast and has good retention on top of that.

4. Not sure.

HTH,

Justin
Old May 6, 2001, 08:01 PM   #12
Recon

The speedloaders hold 4 shells not five. They make them for the Mossberg, Remington, Winchester and Benelli. With some practice the y are they fastest reload available. Most matches put them in Open class. Some matches do not allow them at all. SOF and such.
Old May 12, 2001, 07:39 PM   #13
wakal

fastest reload?

I don't know about "fastest reload available", I seem to load my shotgun quite a bit faster than that system.

USAS-12.

:b

And yes, I hear lots of "hey, that isn't fair" type whining.

Alex
Old May 13, 2001, 12:49 PM   #14
Recon

Yeah BUT my Benelli isn't registered with ATF as a destructive weapon. You did register didn't you. May 1st was the deadline for the free lunch. Now they whack you 200.00 and probably hassle the living hell out of you. Used to be such a great country, now its going to hell in a hurry. I have seen guys that would give you a run for your money with the reloads. I'm still practicing!