The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 9, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
.30-30

Winchester M12 fans...What's it worth?

I recently purchased a Winchester Model 12 in 16 gauge with a modified choked barrel. It is in great condition with about 90% of the bluing left. The serial number shows it was made in 1936. I purchased the gun off Gunbroker.com for $600 plus shipping and FLL fees. Did I get a fair deal? I have always like a 16 gauge shotgun and love my dads Model 12 so I figured I would get one for myself. I know they are more of a collectors firearm now but I plan to hunt with this one since it is in such good shape.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
gunut

you paid on the high end for your 16ga but not out of line 4 a nice prewar mod choked gun.....I have a few model 12s and hunt them whenever the urge strikes...enjoy yours....
Old August 9, 2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Scorch

Most of the plain barrel ones I see are $350-500 depending on condition. If you really got a 90% gun for $600 you didn't do too bad. Model 12s are a nice shotgun, IMO, and they point and handle well, and a 16 gauge on the small receiver is a great field gun. They are old school, and interest in them for a hunting gun is declining, you can find some nice ones at reasonable prices occasionally.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
PawPaw

It must be worth $600.00, that's what you paid for it. The only 16 gauge Model 12 we have is my Dad's gun, manufactured in 1958. Dad added a poly-choke to his.

That shotgun lives at my son's house now, and if you asked him what his grandfather's shotgun might be worth, he'd tell you that it's priceless. It still barks and roars over the pasture, here his wife is shooting it during our family skeet shoot a couple of years ago.

The photographer caught her in recoil.

$600.00 is not a bad price for a pristine Model 12 and I've seen them go much higher than that. Condition is everything in a shotgun. Enjoy your Model 12, they're great shotguns.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 9, 2012, 01:58 PM   #5
.30-30

Thanks for the input guys. Ive seen the 12 gauge model (much more common) sell for $500-$700 depending on condition so I felt like the 16 with a mod. choke was worth $600. It is just a field model so not fancy but the only bluing wear is on the magazine where the forearm rubs (barrel and receiver look brand new). It does shoulder and point like a well made gun should. Again, thanks for your thoughts.