The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 25, 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Capt_Vin

Looking for mfg. email address

A few days ago, my daughter's fiance Billy asked if I would be interested in a .50cal. black powder rifle that someone gave his grandfather about a year ago. The rifle is in excellent shape, and looks like it has never been fired (Billy's grandfather never shot it). After looking at and inspecting the rifle thoroughly today, it became mine, the first black powder rifle I have ever owned, as my main firearm interest is miliary rifles and I regularly shoot AR-15s in service rifle competitions.
Not knowing much about black powder rifles, I figured I can contact the manufacturer to obtain an owner's manual. I searched the internet for an email/snail mail address and/or a phone number to contact them at with no luck. Maybe someone here can help me.

The markings on the rifle (left side of the reciever) indicate it was manufactured by Connecticut Valley Arms Inc. and was made in Spain. Aside from a serial number and ".50cal. Black Powder Only", and a proofmark, these are the only markings on the rifle.

Does anyone know how I can contact Conn. Valley Arms?
Old February 25, 2009, 02:06 AM   #2
arcticap

Listing of CVA manuals:

http://www.cva.com/lifetime.html

Contact info:

http://www.cva.com/customer.html

What does the rifle look like?
Is it a traditional sidelock or a modern inline rifle?
Providing some details or a picture would help to identify it.

Last edited by arcticap; February 25, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old February 25, 2009, 07:29 AM   #3
mykeal

Capt. Vin -

A little background on Connecticut Valley Arms might be helpful.

They were initially an importer/distributor of black powder replica guns made by Ardesa in Spain. They gradually expanded their product offering to include inline bp rifles made in the US. In 1997 they issued a voluntary recall of inline rifle barrels with serial numbers ending in '-95' or '-96'. In 1997 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets (but NOT the liabilities) of CVA and stopped production/importation of Ardesa guns. They continued doing business under the CVA name but with inline guns only. They assume no liability for any products manufactured, imported or sold before January 1, 1998.