The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Hodge

Mossberg 500C 20 guage wont load shells...

Howdy, Im hopeing someone can help me. I have a never before fired mossberg 500C 20 guage 'youth model'. I purchased it for my sons use several years ago, and he took it with another family to camp and shoot but was unable to get it loaded. I have since just not been able to deal with it, I brought it out this evening finally, to look it over and it appears to have some sort of insert in the first 2-3 inches of the barrel blocking the diameter of the shell, is this supposed to be removed after purchase? If so how do I remove it?
Old July 3, 2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Hodge

bummer..

I guess no one uses a mossberg 20 guage...
Old July 3, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Make sure the gun is unloaded. Press on shell stops to unload the magazine through the loading gate if you have to.

Remove the barrel by unscrewing the barrel/magazine tube nut at the end of the mag tube. Then clear whatever obstruction is in there. While you're at it, wipe everything down per the manual's instructions.

New guns should always be stripped and cleaned prior to use to remove any preservative lubricants used at the factory and properly lubricated with gun oil.
Old July 3, 2008, 08:02 PM   #4
mikenbarb

I have never seen a barrel come with a plug in it. I would call Mossberg and see what the deal is. If you bought it used, It may be a gauge reducer that someone forgot to remove. Their used to fire smaller gauge shells. See if it can be removed and if their are any markings on it. Dont fire it till you know what is in the barrel or is verified what it is after you remove it. Can you post a pic of it?
Old July 4, 2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Hodge

RantingRedNeck, thanks for the advice, I have done that already and thats how I found the device in the chamber.
Old July 4, 2008, 12:38 AM   #6
Hodge

Mikenbarb...

Mike, let me try to post a pic of it...
Old July 4, 2008, 12:51 AM   #7
Hodge

I attached two pictures both of the barrel. On my pc I can see the ring inside the barrel pretty well, I hope you can too, it does appear as you said, like a reducer of some sort. Reckon its a 410 now?

Thanks for taking a look.

I did email mossberg, as suggested, but got a reply to call thier customer assitance line but by the time I got home from work it was too late to call.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firefighter1 013.jpg (239.6 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg firefighter1 017.jpg (241.3 KB, 195 views)
Old July 4, 2008, 07:36 AM   #8
rantingredneck

It's definitely not a .410 now. Maybe a 28 gauge.

You bought this gun new right? I took that anyway from your first post.

If so, it shouldn't have any type of reducer inside.

This is gonna sound strange but that almost looks like a choke tube that someone put in the wrong end of the barrel. How far into the chamber does it extend??
Old July 4, 2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Hodge

Ranting... Yes, brand new. I have been thinking its a 410 barrel for a 20 guage and they gave me the wrong barrel. I had never heard of a barrel reducer, but it makes sense now.

Its difficult to tell abotu the depth, I thought it was a choke tube as well, but there is no bite at the top to use a choke tube wrench.

Its smooth too, and I cant feel an end to it really, it feels one with the barrel with any tool I can 'feel' down the barrel with.

I'm going to try mossberg again tomorrow if they are open, on saturdays.

Does anyone know of any recalls on guns? or a web site that lists recalls? I'm leanign towards a manufacturing error here.