The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 25, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1
DTrain

Converting a Turkey Gun Part II

Based on advice here, I bought a flush mount Carlson's IC choke for my 870 turkey gun. I also got a box of Fiocchi Reduced Recoil LE OO buckshot.

I finally got the range tonight and tried them out. The first 3 pics where at 8yds. The last one at 18yds. Seems to open up pretty fast. The sheets of paper are 17" x 17". What do you think of this for Home Defense? We have a small 997 sq ft house, so there really aren't any long shots I could/would take.

I did feel the Fiocchi was a very soft shooting load, an important point as I will be having my wife practice with whatever load I go with. Do you recommend I try any other buckshot loads?

Old May 26, 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
bamaranger

HD

I'd say you have a HD gun.

Let the wife shoot/train w/ trap loads, as mild as you can find them if there is any thought that she will be touchy about recoil. Many gals are. Guys to I guess.

Bamawife says a .22 jumps!
Old June 11, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
DTrain

Anyone else care to comment on these patterns or other 00 buckshot to try? I did some ranging in my house and almost all possible shots would be 10 yds and under. Any thing longer I would have to firing out the window or an open door