The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 23, 2009, 10:50 AM   #1
gunnails

Do you know this Western Field .22

Wards Western Field 22 short long or long rifle, those are the only markings on the gun other then a #10 inside of a small circle.

Bolt action, 5 round removable clip, 24" barrel, peep rear site, some copper on the tip of the front site and the words Sheard and marble on either side of the front site.

No serial number.

It was my Uncle Ben's and I want to figure out how old it is.

Old August 24, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Scorch

Without a model number, it will depend on someone recognizing the photo and putting a name to it. As far as age, it it at least older than 1968, since serial numbers were not required before then.
Old August 24, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
RickB

Wards sold a lot of Westernfield guns that were made by Mossberg. My first rifle was a Wards "842B" that was a renamed Mossberg 346. Check the Numrich/Gun Parts catalog or website for pics and exploded views and see if anything matches.
Old August 24, 2009, 09:33 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not in the "cross my heart" category, but I think that is a Marlin Model 80 under an alias. The forward position of the bolt handle, the cocking knob, and the general receiver shape would seem to bear that out.

If it is a Model 80, they were introduced in 1935 and discontinued in 1959 (serial numbers were not required until 1968).

Jim