The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1
KRoyal

Getting Started

Hello,
I was just wondering what all would i need to get started on reloading my own ammo, I know all the brass, primer, powder, and lead, but what all is needed along the lines of the reloader itself? Also is it worth it to even reload if i don't shoot any sports i just shoot for hobbie and I would like to do more but ammo is so expecive to shoot my .45 acp all the time. let me break it down for you I belong to a gun club so i get 2 dollars off my ammo and I only pay range fee once per day...And i'd like to shoot everyday (But Cant).
$8.50 - Range fee
$8.99 - .45 wolf ammo 50ct
$1.00 - Per Target
$18.49 + Tax = $19.60
So if i wanted to shoot say 3 times a week thats $60 a week $240 a month and $2,880 a year...Wow thats alot of money... back to my question would me reloading my own loads cut down on these prices?
Old November 16, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2
rwilson452

savings

After you amortize the cost of your reloading equipment you can make reloads for you .45acp for around $5.00 for 50 rounds. I just depends on how much money you want to put into it. Basicly if you buy new equipment the low end is about $200 the high end is well over $1000. For a low volume pistol shootist I would suggest a turret press as a starter kit. You can reload even cheaper if you get into molding your own bullets. Molding your own is another story. I would warn you reloading as a very addictive hobby. In the end it will not put any money in your pocket but you will shoot a lot more.
Old November 16, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3
KRoyal

Well even if i don't get money back on my envestment i'll still get to shoot more and that will make me really happy.
Old November 16, 2006, 09:00 PM   #4
DMF38

If you continue to shoot as much as you do now you'll save money by reloading. But if you're like most of us you'll end up shooting a lot more, for the same money you spend now. I shoot a Ruger New Vaquero .45 Colt. 50 rounds of storebought ammo is about $22, and I can reload 50 rounds for about $6 - $7. But now I shoot more than I used to, and that's economical to me. Plus, a lot of us find that reloading is just as much fun as shooting. If you get a Lee Classic Cast Turret press you can get a good setup with all the extra equipment for $400. It won't take long to pay for itself.
Old November 23, 2006, 12:40 PM   #5
C17A

Reloading 45ACP

I can reload 45ACP target loads for under $4.00 a hundred. I'd like to find someone more frugal (ahem, more cheap) than myself. Let's see, $8.99 a box X 2 = $17.98 for a hundred (not counting tax), so $17.98 - $4.00 = $13.98 saved. When I go out I'll shoot 200 rounds--costs me eight bucks.

You will definitely pay back the investment in reloading equipment in no time, so don't even bother to count the capital expense. Also, don't bother to count the value of your time--reloading is a rewarding part of the shooting hobby in itself. Just take the plunge and don't look back.

45 brass can be reloaded until the headstamp fades. I only scrap a case if it ever splits or has a nick in the case mouth. I pick up brass from the range and desert shooting areas where I camp, and have several thousand at hand, mostly once-fired. So, I get my brass free.

I cast my own bullets, Lyman 200 gr SWC. By scrounging tire weights and some Linotype I can cast a bullet for under a penny apiece--and that includes the Alox lube.

Buy powder and primers in bulk. The primer costs about 2 cents each (it's the most expensive part of the reloaded round), you can get 1400 target-load shots from a pound of Bullseye powder, that's under a penny a shot.

GlennH
Old November 23, 2006, 03:30 PM   #6
CrustyFN

I would have to agree with the turret press. It's not as fast as a progressive but you can still make a lot of ammo in a short time. There are a lot of good turret presses out there. I bought the Lee Classic Turret Press and for the price it is an awesome press. Once you get used to the press you will be making around 200 per hour. Here is what I bought to give you an example. The only other things you should need are a tumbler and caliper.

Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure Riser.
Lee Adjustable Charge Bar Auto Disk.
Lee Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure.
Lee Safety Prime Small and Large Primer Feeder.
Lee Classic Four Hole Turret Press.
Lee Deluxe Handgun Four Die Set 9mm Luger.
Lee Safety Magnetic Scale. ( will upgrade as needed )
Total was $207 including shipping
MidwayUSA