The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2008, 09:37 PM   #1
mike6161

cleaning cases

I just got in to reloading and do not have a lot of stuff or room. I need a way to clean my brass But I don’t have room/money for a tumbler. Are there any ways to clean brass with out one?
Thank you for the advice
Old May 26, 2008, 10:06 PM   #2
cdrt

You can shake them in a mixture of 1 pint water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt and one teaspoon of detergent for about ten minutes. Rinse with water and either air dry or dry in a mild oven. If you drain the vinegar mixture into another container, it can be reused. If you leave the cases too long, they may turn pink. Doesn't hurt the brass; just looks funny.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old May 27, 2008, 08:48 AM   #3
TimRB

Or on the other hand, many people seem to get by just fine without cleaning their brass at all. Just wipe the cases off to make sure there's no dirt or anything that will bollix up your sizing die. I have also heard of people putting brass into a mesh bag and throwing it in with the laundry.

Personally I tumble my brass, but that's mostly because I like nice shiny things.

Tim
Old May 27, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4
WSM MAGNUM

I`m assuming you don`t have a lot of brass yet since you say you are just getting started. I would just wipe them off with a cloth until you are able to get a tumbler.
When I first started I would wipe down about 200 rounds with a cloth before sizing and after sizing to wipe off the lube. And if I felt like it I wiped them all down again to make them shinier.
I had some sore thumbs and fingers though. I bought a tumbler when my ammo stock grew larger.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old May 27, 2008, 10:59 AM   #5
50 shooter

Try Iosso, all you need is a kitchen sink.

https://www.choiceaccessories.com/in...D&ProdID=72352
No time for rearranging.
Old May 27, 2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Ifishsum

I used Birchwood Casey case cleaner for several years before I got a tumbler. The only downside is you have to wait for the cases to dry before you load them. You can speed that up by using a hair dryer or placing near a heat source (but not too hot).
Old May 27, 2008, 04:48 PM   #7
DR. Furlicker

I use the vinegar solution as cdrt does except I use 50/50 water and vinegar and no detergent. I've found that washing the cases in detergent water before soaking in the vinegar allows the vinegar solution to stay clean longer, it usually turns light blue.

After you get a tumbler continue to use this method before tumbling it produces some really nice looking brass.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:15 PM   #8
mike6161

Thanks for the help. cdrt does that mixture work. does it get them clean?
All I need is to get the brass clean so it won't hurt the die or my gun. I know it takes a lot of rounds to hurt the die or gun but why not just clean them so you don't have to worry.
Thanks
Old May 27, 2008, 09:41 PM   #9
mike6161

WOW shiny. i just got done with some cases i can see my self in them its the cleanest brass i have ever seen. thank you for posting the mixture.