The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

Very happy with "new" powder!

Well, new to me, that is. Since acquiring a boatload of HS-6 recently in a fantastic purchase from an enthusiast who needed some quick cash, I've been trying out different loads with it. These tests have been with .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .45 ACP.

I have found a very sweet load (my Taurus 608 absolutely loves 'em!) for the .38 Special rounds. Using 148 grain DEWC bullets, powered by 5.0 grains of HS-6, and leaving about 1/32" protruding from the case mouth, these things are really fun to shoot! Though this wheel gun is big and heavy, even my wife commented how pleasant it is to shoot when she went with me to the range the other day. You can be sure that I'll be loading lots of these, as I continue to work on my marksmanship with them.

YBB
Old May 26, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2
amamnn

HS-6 seems to be Hodgon's best kept secret. It's not so slow that you get a big increase in perceived recoil and it's not so fast that only tiny amounts are used ( in other words it fills the case well and helps to eliminate the possibility of double charging ) in most loads. Great stuff.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Yoosta B. Blue

Well said, amamnn.

I was at a gun show about three months ago. (I wish I had known then what I know now.) A dealer there had a lot of HS-6 and also some Norma powder for sale. I wasn't as aware about the versatility of HS-6 then as I am now, (and knew nothing at all about "Norma") or I would have bought it. However, another gentleman stepped up and was also looking at those powders. As he was reading the text on the back of one of the Norma cans, the dealer told him "I'll take $100 for all of the powder." The fellow reached for his wallet and the deal was done...

YBB
Old May 27, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4
WSM MAGNUM

That`s great Yoosta. That`s what it takes to find that perfect load. You gotta try different components.
Most people are afraid to try different loads. I don`t know why everyone keeps asking for a "great" load for their caliber/gun.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old May 27, 2008, 10:00 PM   #5
amamnn

Half the fun of handloading is trying new things. I don't understand people who want to shortcut the process.
Old May 27, 2008, 10:53 PM   #6
zxcvbob

My wunderpowder is WSF, even though there is not much reloading data available for it.

I just bought a bunch of surplus #7 powder (a little faster than canister grade AA-7). It looks really good on paper but I haven't tried it yet -- gonna finish shooting up that pound of Blue Dot first. Don't have much time for reloading or shooting until kid graduates from high school in about a week.
Old May 28, 2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Crazy4nitro

I agree with you on WSF.
4.4gr under a 180gr Cast Bullet in my .40 is a Great Low recoil Plinker load.

10gr of WSF under a 215LSWC in my .41Mag Rocks aswell

'Nitro