The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2008, 07:51 AM   #1
mikenbarb

Need advice, New to reloading.

Im going to be getting into reloading for a.223, 30-30 and .300 Win Mag. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to get started? Im not wanting to spend thousands of dollars and want to keep it sweet and simple. Who makes good equipment for this and what are the basic tools I need to get started. Also, Who has the best reloading manual for rifle and shotguns combined? I have seen in Cabela's that they offer starter packages and wondering if their any good for the price. They have a RCBS Turret press and kit for 179.99, A Lee Anniversary kit for 69.99 and a Lee classic turret press kit for 149.99
Im not going to be using it alot and its mostly being used to tweak my hunting ammo to improve accuracy. Thanks in advance, Mike
Old May 23, 2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Sevens

First, read the pinned sticky note thread regarding equipment choices for beginners. It should be near the top of this forum. Lots of basic stuff in there.

Next, absolutely buy a reloading manual. Hornady, Hodgdon, Lee, Lyman, all are fine. I personally don't care much for the Speer manual, but any is better than none. If you can't find one, punch up your local library and see if they have one.

For loading rifle specifically, you can certainly get by with a single stage press. A turret press gives you more options for quicker work, but if you don't 300-500 rounds an hour, you can spend less by sticking with single stage.

Basic tools that you MUST have to get started in those calibers include:
--a press
--a set of dies in each of the three calibers
--scale
--priming tool
--funnel
--loading block
--dial or digital caliper
--some kind of case trimming setup (Lee is by far the cheapest route here)
--case lube

...a powder measure really speeds things up, but isn't an absolute necessity.

Those are the tools. After compiling that, you'll need components: brass, primers, powder and bullets. Components can add up quickly. Prices on components are volatile, and it's all cheaper in bulk.

Punch up www.midwayusa.com for a wide array of different options. They have a large selection, alternate product suggestions, and user reviews and descriptions. Good prices, ultra-quick shipping.
Old May 23, 2008, 03:25 PM   #3
BigJimP

For years I used a RCBS Rockchucker press for 270, 30-30 and 30-06 ammo. Its a real basic setup / single stage - but for rifle ammo its probably all you need.

If you might get into pistol reloading down the road - then consider a Dillon 550 or 650 that will do rifle calibers and pistol calibers too. You could keep it pretty basic and under $ 500. You can convert the RCBS Rockchucker these days - but it isn't really the way to go on higher volume ammo like for semi-auto pistols.

For shotshells - I like the MEC equipment / and for under $ 500 you can get a Grabber or 9000GN model that will work just fine. Mec's loaders are one gague only - so you have to add another loader is you want to do another gague. Dillon and RCBS and others have shotshell loaders with changeable tool heads - but I don't recommend them.

One book for metallic and shotshells - I would go somewhere like Sportsman's Warehouse and look over the generic books and reloading manuals - but I don't think you'll find a book that does both well because they're so different. Hodgden has a good shotshell book / getting recipes is easy online and there are softcover give away books that most of the powder companies publish on recipe's. The hardcover books are better - and they give you a lot more data like Min and Max vs just Max loads.

These days the press owners manual gives you a lot of info as well / and you can get some or most of those online and you can print them ahead of time on the press you like.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4
mikenbarb

Thanks everyone. Im gonna do some reading and get set up. I will post what I come up with and purchase. Guess its gonna take a little time and reading to figure out what im going to buy. Thanks again.
Old May 24, 2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Ozzieman

Sevens is giving you very good advice.
The Rockchucker is the press for you, you need a very strong one with 30 win mags.
One advice I would give is to not buy equipment just because it’s cheaper.
Over time you will learn that better quality hardware means better reloads and easier reloads.
Spend the money and get a Wilson Case trimmer.
Get a good scale, I like balance scales and I have a very good one. There are lots of good electrical at reasonable prices.
I would suggest you go to Sinclair International’s web sight and look at what’s available in high end equipment.
Spending a little more money starting off will pay off big time later on.
Redfield dies= best there is.
Also check out any gun shows near where you live,,, there is a lot of used reloading stuff at the shows that can save a lot of money.
Last weekend I picked up a set of used (looked NIB) 7mm Mag dies for $12.
Old May 24, 2008, 12:17 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

not a "brand" thing; a "tool" thing

When in doubt buy RCBS.

LEE offers numerous worthwhile tools.
So does Hornady, and Lyman, and Redding, and Dillon, and others.

But when in doubt buy RCBS.
Old May 24, 2008, 11:40 PM   #7
gandog56

I would think about it if RCBS prices were anywhere near Lee prices. Alas, they are not.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:03 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

false economy

I own two broken LEE presses.

I recommend certain LEE tools. I use some every time I'm at one of my benches (because I keep certain identical LEE tools on each).
I recommend certain tools from every other brand.

But when in doubt buy RCBS.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:35 AM   #9
elkman06

Not sure what prices you are looking at. I bought a Rockchucker kit about 5 yrs ago and have been completely happy w/ it. I primarily loaded rifle and just recently started into pistol. I can see why people would want a multi-stage progressive particulary for pistol but I will stick w/ what I have. The time I spend reloading seems to be like a bottle of aspirin for me. Nice stress reliever so I don't look to speed it up any. I find I am looking to spend any extra $ toward things like scales/ powder throws, etc for accuracys' sake though. I do kind of think that accuracy and safety require a bit of methodical slowness.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old May 26, 2008, 01:50 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...would think about it if RCBS prices were..." The RCBS warrantee is better. They'll fix or replace any of their stuff, no questions asked other than your shipping address, even if you buy used or caused the problem.
Start with a copy of The ABC's of Reloading. Then, look into an RCBS Beginner's Kit. Gives you everything you need less dies and shell holder. Comes with a Speer manual, but buy a Lyman book too. The Speer manual is fine, but not as versatile as the Lyman book. The Lyman book has more loads with more powders and bullet weights than any bullet maker's book.
Loading shotgun ammo requires a completely separate press.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Sidetracked

I personally think the RCBS Master Reloading Kit is your best value to get started.
The price vs quality is the best, in my experience.