The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2008, 04:04 PM   #1
taybri

.223 AR reloading

I've been loading straight walled pistol for a few years (9mm and .45). I just built a kit AR with a Colt Upper 16" 1:7 lightweight barrel and I'm looking for a little advice on starting into .223 reloading. I gather that this 1:7 barrel will perfrom better with 62gr and heavier bullets.

I'm looking for a good economical range load, top match accuracy not required. A few inches at 100 yards is fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 25, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2
amamnn

ARs can be surprisingly accurate-- hopefully your will deliver better than a few inches grouping at 100 yards. I load for accuracy, but I won't bore you with the details. If you go to the Hodgon website and look at the load data section you will surely find some good info there. I like H335 for the heavier .223 bullets and it does not cost any more than any other decent 223 powder I've used. As for bullets--there are so many to choose from on the economy end of the scale I could not begin to recommend any one particular brand. You should be able to find relatively good buys on 62 and even 55 ball online. Small rifle primers are going to be pretty much all the same so whatever you can find at the best price would probably do. If you buy some of the used or once fired Lake City or other retired military brass online, you might want to be sure you have a tool to carve out the priimer pocket crimp.

Graf and Sons, Midway USA, Midsouth, and Natchez are favorite online retailers of all that. You might want to go to the Sierra website and look in the exterior ballistics section as there is a very good guideline there for loading ammo to be used in gas operated military stile semi-autos, and yes there are some differences.

It's worth getting on Midway's mailing list. I've got some great deals in the past on bulk bullets and blems, etc....

http://www.hodgdon.com/
http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sgunreload.cfm
Old May 26, 2008, 04:29 AM   #3
moose fat

I was going to post a link for you from the thread search function but couldn't find it.

Do a thread search, .223 reloading, or something similar. LOTS of info.