The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 12, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
joyrock

Underslung shotgun on a AR-15?

Is there a kit to make a mossberg mount to a ar-15? Or a Rem 700? Can it be done? I see 40MM and 37mm stuff, but thats a bit useless for hunting. I thought a 12ga, and a 223, would be great! Thanks!
Old March 12, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
TheManHimself

Problem #1 is, that combo is extremely heavy - if you didn't star alongside The Ahnold in Predator, you don't want to be carrying that setup around for more than a few minutes at a time.

Problem #2 is, if the shotgun barrel is short enough so as not to extend way past the AR15's barrel, it's a NFA firearm with $200 registration tax required.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:04 AM   #3
SilentHitz

Can't remember who now, but someone used to sell kits to mount a Mossy Persuader under an AR. I never ordered one because it looked like it would add way too much weight to the front of the weapon. Even with the 18" barrel, the balance would be way off...at least for what I use an AR for.

http://k5fv.com/
Old March 12, 2009, 01:48 PM   #4
joyrock

Problem #1 really is not that much of a problem. problem #2, I was thinking of a 18inch barrel. so that should be okish. i think.
Old March 12, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
rantingredneck

18" will be legal without the NFA paperwork but the shotgun barrel is gonna hang out there some beyond your rifle barrel and is gonna be heavy (back to problem 1).

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 12, 2009, 02:40 PM   #6
precision_shooter

Quote:
Can't remember who now, but someone used to sell kits to mount a Mossy Persuader under an AR.
Cenier used to make one that was just like the one used in Predator. I looked but didn't see it listed on their site, so I guess due to unpopularity they don't make it/sell it anymore. I always thought that having something like this would Look cool....In a mall ninja sort of way. Would definately be a hendrance more than anything.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 12, 2009, 06:18 PM   #7
rburch

I always loved the way it looked in Predator, but considered it a really impractical addition.

Especially the pump actions, now if you could get a autoloader that wouldn't stick out past the barrel, and could hold 2+1 rounds, it might be worth looking into.

Be a NFA weapon though.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old March 12, 2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Technosavant

Remington actually makes this sort of thing. Note the "accessory weapon" part of it (an accessory rail mount is extra).

However, it is very much a NFA weapon and then there's the question of finding one; Remington doesn't seem all that interested in selling them to civilians, even those with the ATF's blessing.

I really don't know what you'd plan to gain with a mounted shotgun- the thing would be horrendously unwieldy.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Kmar40

Quote:
Problem #1 is, that combo is extremely heavy - if you didn't star alongside The Ahnold in Predator,
You'd be a Governor or former Governor by now and wouldn't need to provide for your own security.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:40 PM   #10
C Philip

Quote:
Problem #2 is, if the shotgun barrel is short enough so as not to extend way past the AR15's barrel, it's a NFA firearm with $200 registration tax required.
Short barrel shotguns are an AOW and as such only have a $5 tax stamp.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:15 PM   #11
Csspecs

No thats a SBS and a 200.00 tax stamp. AOW means no stock, if you lock it on a AR it has a stock and is a SBS.

unless you use a 18 inch barrel but that will be kinda long
Old March 13, 2009, 04:26 AM   #12
blume357

Why not just pay your money (big$) and put a 40 mil launcher

on the critter?
Old March 13, 2009, 08:10 AM   #13
joyrock

Found one! Here at: http://tntarmoury.homestead.com/TNT1.html
Now I wounder if it will fit a mossy! I will find out! Thanks!
Old March 13, 2009, 08:42 AM   #14
GEM

I remember seeing one setup like that about 20 years ago at a gun show. Was always facinated by it.... but it seems to me that removing the stock of an 870 might cause some NFA issues. I'm not up-to-snuff on all the potential NFA issues it might create. Anyone know for sure?

Curious whether you purchased one from the company. Quality? Well built? Go together easily? Thanks
Old March 13, 2009, 11:12 AM   #15
sevensixtytwo

Quote:
I remember seeing one setup like that about 20 years ago at a gun show. Was always facinated by it.... but it seems to me that removing the stock of an 870 might cause some NFA issues. I'm not up-to-snuff on all the potential NFA issues it might create. Anyone know for sure?

Curious whether you purchased one from the company. Quality? Well built? Go together easily? Thanks
You can get a pistol grip for it all right so I would assume cutting the stock off would be legal, however cutting the barrel under 18inches is not (without a sbs stamp). If you were mounting it (probably permantly) under the barrel of an AR wouldn't the AR's stock technically be the shotguns stock too? Thus keeping it over the overall length requirement?
Old March 13, 2009, 11:54 AM   #16
johnwilliamson062

wow. I can't even imagine doing this. A single shot like an M203, but 12ga, sure, but a Mossberg persuader attached?
Old March 13, 2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

To avoid having almost a foot of shotgun hanging out in your rifle's muzzleblast, you would need to whack the barrel and mag tube back to about that of a Serbu Super Shorty (10" or so).

This will leave you with a 2-round capacity. Since it will be attached to a carbine with a shoulder stock, it will be an SBS. There will be a $200 "making tax" to put it on a Form 4.

You will now have added about four pounds to the weight of your nine pound carbine in order to have a weapon that is useless for anything except maybe breaching doors. I would imagine that if your line of work involved a lot of door-breaching, your employer probably would have issued you something with which to breach them.

If you just want it for a toy, well, hey, it's America. Have at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Philip
Short barrel shotguns are an AOW and as such only have a $5 tax stamp.
No, you are wrong.

Short-barreled shotguns have a $200 tax stamp.

Smoothbore pistols are AOW's (ie. shotguns that have never had a buttstock attached.) They have a $5 transfer tax. But they still cost a $200 "making tax" to register initially.

This would not apply here, since even if he were to obtain a bare receiver from the factory on which to build his project, the act of ading his faux Masterkey to his carbine would be de facto adding a buttstock.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:07 PM   #18
freakintoguns

why? id much rather have a 40 mil gerende luancher
Old March 22, 2009, 06:50 PM   #19
Ozzieman

Thanks Technosavant
Now there is another gun that I HAVE to have.
The Breaching Weapon,,,,Looks like an N frame Smith spent the night with an 870 and 9 months later delivered a,,,,,
I want one.