The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 24, 2004, 10:58 PM   #1
MustangLife

old german made walther ppk/s .380, looking for info

I have a german made walther ppk/s .380 by InterArms. Its all black in color, i believe its black alloy. From what I've seen the only ppk/s now are the 2-tone or the blue steel. Also the german made walthers are no longer being produced and imported to the US. The prices I've seen for brand new 1999 models of the ppk/s that are german made are going for $950-$1000 new. Mine is in prestine shape and it is old, not sure on that but i know its at least older than me and i'm 23. So I figure i have basically a collectors item and a sawed after gun in the walther lovers club. SN#173xxxS.

So if I could get some info on the year, which has been terrible hard to find. And I'm estimating my value at $850.

If theres anything else you could tell me about the gun that i don't already know.

Josh
Old October 25, 2004, 06:49 AM   #2
Herr Walther

What's the date or date code on the chamber hood?
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old October 25, 2004, 01:37 PM   #3
MustangLife

It says 73. Does that mean its a 1973 model. I might be mistaken but interarms started importing them in 1968.

Josh
Old October 26, 2004, 12:14 AM   #4
michael t

I belive your way high on price I say more in 350 to 400 range. If was WW2 or before be worth a more. But from 70's I don't think so.
Old October 26, 2004, 09:09 AM   #5
Herr Walther

It's a 1973 production model. In '77 the date was changed to a two letter code. Proofed at the Ulm proofhaus about eight blocks from the Walther plant.

Your Walther was manufactured by Manurhin in France and shipped to Ulm for final polishing, blueing and roll marking and assembly.

The 'S' in PPK/S stands for 'Special' to the American market because of the GCA of '68 banning the PPK from importation. If yours is in the condition you state, it may be worth in excess of $500 for the right buyer if you have the box, manual, cleaning rod, and test target.

Without those items $400-$500 would be reasonable.

The alloy or Dural frame models only included the .22LR. Your PPK/S is all steel.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old October 26, 2004, 06:39 PM   #6
MustangLife

Thanks Herr for clarifying everything for me.

Josh