The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 01:16 AM   #1
wolverine_173

whats your opinion on the CZ 75b compact

anyone own one and id like to hear your thoughts of the gun compared to some more modern designs.

im looking at an all steel compact
Old December 6, 2012, 01:19 AM   #2
MLeake

OP, I think the reason Mike Irwin closed your last thread was because you had started it in the wrong forum (General Handgun). Unfortunately, General Discussion isn't really the right forum, either.

You should really start this one in Hogan's Alley, Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Is the Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum hidden from view again?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Pilot

CZ offers many compact models. Which one are you talking about? How is it an "old" design?
Old December 6, 2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

CZ only makes ONE all-steel compact. It's the 75B Compact (capital "C").

I've had several. Nice gun, allowing cocked and locked carry (but, because of that, no decocker.) Like the decocker models, it can also safely start from the half-cock notch, which shortens the trigger pull. (the safety doesn't work when the hammer is on the half-cock notch.)

Its a solid, compact gun, but it's noticeably heavier than the alloy-framed compacts that CZ makes. If you like decockers, or want something less heavy, look at the CZ 75B PCR or P-01. Any of them should be equally durable, and all will work in the same holsters.

Later added comment: MLeake's following comment about P-01s fitting other CZ (compact) holsters is correct -- I overlooked the P-01's accessory rail and longer dust cover which will make it very (or too) snug in some CZ holsters. Leather might stretch, but the harder hollster might be a problem.

If you are comfortable carrying the steel Compact, you would be well-served carrying the full-size 75B, as there is no real BIG difference in size or weight between the two. The alloy-framed models, on the other hand, are noticeably lighter, and over a day's time, the difference matters if you're not carrying in a duty rig.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; December 6, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:47 AM   #6
MLeake

The PCR should work in Compact holsters; the P01 may or may not due to the rail, full length shroud, and un-tapered slide. It will depend on how the holster was formed.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I have an older CZ-75 Compact... it's a little heavy compared to the lighter weight revolvers I carry ( the extra lead adds up... & mines a pre alloy gun ) aside from the weight, I love mine...

Compact on top... regular on bottom...

Old December 6, 2012, 03:44 PM   #8
LockedBreech

While a more accurate comparison would be with the CZ-75 PCR (due to the fact that it also has an alloy frame and not a steel one), the 75 Compact is actually quite a bit similar to the Beretta 92 Compact. Smaller versions of venerable combat autos that aren't really enough smaller or lighter enough to be especially practical as concealed guns, but seem to have all the quality of their older siblings, and certainly have style points.

I think it's a fine gun. But for carry I'd gravitate to the PCR.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:55 PM   #9
tekarra

I like the cZ 75 Compact very much. The only drawback for me is the weight, so I purchased a Tristar which is the same pistol with an aluminum frame.

Old December 6, 2012, 10:58 PM   #10
larryh1108

The PCR has the lighter alloy frame. It only comes with the decocker but it is a fine gun that is as reliable as it is accurate. It works great for CCW. If you like the CZ compact then the PCR is the way to go.

Old December 6, 2012, 11:05 PM   #11
taraquian

I love mine, its a great shooter and feels great in the hand however 'Compact' is a bit of a misnomer. That being said I am already looking for another one
Old December 7, 2012, 12:32 AM   #12
Meditator

I like mine too- only steel frame I have left along w/ a SA1911a1. A big plus w/ Kadet kit also.
Old December 7, 2012, 12:54 AM   #13
wolverine_173

I have heard that steel is stronger and does not fatigue like alloy does. Is that true?

I heard this in reference to a sig p226. I guess there was a problem in the past with the alloy frame cracking.
Old December 7, 2012, 01:03 AM   #14
TheGunGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine_173 View Post
I have heard that steel is stronger and does not fatigue like alloy does. Is that true?

I heard this in reference to a sig p226. I guess there was a problem in the past with the alloy frame cracking.
Steel is not necessarily stronger or the alloy is not necessarily weaker... I think it has more to do with design. I think the SIG issue you are referring to was on very few. 40 cal weapons and it was actually a flaw and not the fault of the alloy itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2