The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1
kx592

Slug Gun Advice

Next year I'm going to finally get my hunting license. I currently have an 870 field gun and want to keep my guns separated so I'm on the market to get a deer gun, either 20/12 gauge. I see a lot of guys using 20gauge slugs on deer and it seems like a good move over the 12gauge. Now my options are either a single shot or get another 870 with slug barrel and scope. I don't know any brands that make single shots but I like the idea of the single shot and think it would be more fun. What would you guys recommend? What gauge is more practical for deer?
Old December 20, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2
N.H. Yankee

I use a 20ga, with modern sabot's it duplicates most 50cal muzzle loader loads. I love it when people say the 20ga isn't enough but rave about how their 50cal drops them like a ton of bricks. I like a semi or pump, because if for any reason you need a quick follow-up its there. I hate the thought of a deer getting away wounded. While we all want the perfect shot with the perfect results, no matter how well we shoot it doesn't always happen that way.

I also prefer a gun that has a rifled barrel with cantilever scope mounts. This way I can change out barrels without loss of zero. I also feel this mounting system is the most stable.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:37 AM   #3
zippy13

N. H. Yankee offers a wise opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by, "I currently have an 870 field gun and want to keep my guns separated so I'm on the market to get a deer gun, either 20/12 gauge." Separated from what?

The logical path for you would seem to be simply getting a slug barrel and scope for your existing 870. Keep your eyes open, there are often good prices on package deals.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Lee Lapin

Swapping barrels on an 870 is no big deal. Thousands of people do it pretty regularly with no ill effects. Why not just get a slug barrel you like, to fit the gun you already have? Unless you just want a new/different gun in a different gauge, that is...

lpl (own more than one 870? me? 8^)

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 20, 2009, 01:15 PM   #5
kx592

I would like to get another gun so I can just grab it and go. I like having a gun for each purpose is what I meant by separate. I also plan on getting the rifled barrel for sabots. Question is 20 or 12 gauge and what brand.
Old December 20, 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
jchesser

kx i had a new england fire arms single shot with iron sights and a rifled barrel. it was inexpensive and a good shooter. it wasnt drilled and tapped for a scope mount, but thats a easy fix. im also a fan of 12 gauge over 20 but only because bigger is better lol
Old December 20, 2009, 08:26 PM   #7
troy_mclure

ive killed tons of deer with my mossy 500 12ga. started with the smooth bore slugger barrel, then went with a rifled barrel. never needed a scope for shotguns.

the 12ga has a bit more effective range than the 20ga.

i started deer hunting with a new england single shot 20ga smooth bore. it too killed many deer.

i would go 12 just for the much wider variety of shells and slugs.

either is plenty for deer.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 20, 2009, 10:32 PM   #8
JackSparrow

you could just use rifled slugs in your 870. No changing of barrels, no buying a new gun, no hassle.

12ga is great for deer, but so is 20ga. I'm a fan of 12ga, but that's because it's what I've always used. A 20ga will still kill a deer
Old December 21, 2009, 11:36 AM   #9
kx592

Well I guess Ill just go with the 12..Ive put rifled slugs through my smooth bore but i dont like the grouping even at 50yards. How much would an 870 with the rifled barrel be roughly? Whats the best barrel length for slugs?
Old December 21, 2009, 12:43 PM   #10
JackSparrow

short barrels are best for slugs. 18-20" is best. After that point, the slug has reached it's maximum speed, and now it's just slowing down in the barrel due to friction.

An 870 with a rifled barrel shouldn't be more than like $400. My brother-in-law picked up an 870 with both barrels for just over $400 if I remember right.

here's a pretty good article on slugs and slug guns:
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/huntin.../gf_aa106503a/