The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 3, 2001, 02:03 PM   #1
GunFreek

I want to buy a shot gun for dove hunting and skeet shooting(under $400). Im new to the sport so I dont know what one I should look at. So what do you guys think I should get?
Old May 3, 2001, 03:07 PM   #2
yankytrash

Just hit Wal-mart for now. Get you a Remington 870 Express for $200 (or less, depending on where you live). Then, play with your friend's guns when you're shooting skeet to see what you want later.

Because of height differences, arm length differences, body-weight and all, each shooter requires a different gun.
Old May 3, 2001, 03:43 PM   #3
Big Bear

I use a Remington 1100 for both skeet and dove hunting. I just change the barrel, 26" skeet choked barrel for skeet and 28" modified for dove hunting. I always take the trusty ol' 870 with me as a backup though. I shot skeet with an 870 for years 'til I got the 1100. Had to be a fast pumper to get the doubles. The semi-auto sure makes the doubles easier.
Old May 3, 2001, 08:32 PM   #4
Bam Bam

I don't think you can get a no-comperimise gun for both purposes at that price. IMHO the best bet is Win 1300 Black Shadow Field pump or save up some more for an entry-level O/U or for a semi-auto in the $500-600 price range. If it were my decision I would save the extra money. You may be able to find a synthetic stock 1187 for the price range.
Old May 4, 2001, 05:59 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Freek, there's tons of old info in the archives on this. A little research will give you a truckload of input.

There's lots of fine shotguns out there. My choice would be a used 870 with Rem chokes. Use the Modified for most dove shooting, drop in a Skeet tube for Skeet(G), and maybe a Full for a little trap or anytime a longer shot needs to be made.

And, since you're new, get some lessons from a qualified instructor.